Rain coming through and down wood burner flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a property with a wood burner. With the recent weather I have noticed a dripping noise coming from the ceiling space surrounding where my wood burners flue enters. On inspection in the attic I have found two separate ingress points. The first is from where the flue exits the attic and through the roof, it appears the previous owner has tried to bung some type sealant of up there but there is still some drops making it through and running down outside the flue. The second appears to be water getting down inside the flue and then escaping out at a point the flue enters a elbow section. The joint in the middle of the elbow section seems ok but it appears the water is escaping from the bottom of the two collar connections to the elbow. I have tightened it up as it was slightly loose but it appears to of not made much of a difference.

I'm guessing a flushing plate will be needed to stop the drips that are running down the outside of the flue but unsure what to do about the water on the inside.
PXL_20231102_152445798~2.jpg

PXL_20231102_152434690~2.jpg

Sponsored Links
No sorry can't get up to get external pictures but yes there is a rain cap

Sponsored Links
Rain will bleach in from that thing.....consider a cowl which has a bird guard incorporated at the same time.
I’ve had good results with cowls made by Colt but there are many others, and choose stainless steel if possible.
John

Rain will bleach in from that thing.....consider a cowl which has a bird guard incorporated at the same time.
I’ve had good results with cowls made by Colt but there are many others, and choose stainless steel if possible.
John
Thanks for the advice, I will look into getting it replaced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back