rain entering property via ridge tile flue.

J

james0james

Hello all.
I have noticed a damp patch on my ceiling and on further looking around in the loft I have found it to be rain (during a heavy shower and very windy) entering via the ridge tile gas vent and the rain runs down the outside of the flue pipe till it changes angle then drips and drips.
Is it normal for rain to enter these terminals ?, from a distance with binoculars the mortar is still in place on both sides as far as can be seen.
Building is 12 years old,2 storey flats.
I just really want some info before contacting the management company.

So is it normal under heavy rain and driving wind to get ingress of rain water.

Many thanks, James.

Sponsored Links
No, it is not normal. It's either damaged or fitted incorrectly.

If water is running down the outside of the flue, it's possible that combustion products are entering the roof space, which is dangerous. Needs to be fixed immediately.

Thank you for the reply,flameport.

So there could be a safety issue,thats one thing I don't want to hear. The boiler was safety checked/serviced on BG homecare just over a week ago and no negative comment was raised then.

I have put a (new) carbon monoxide alarm close to the internal apex of the roof near the fluepipe,to monitor any leakages of CO.

Just thinking of my next step forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back