Rain ingress through CH boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi boiler situated in the loft. In situ for about 12 years. The flue outlet is horisontal through the end wall.

After recent heavy rain and strong winds water "got in" and blew the electical board.

There is no water around the exterior of the boiler so the assumption is it came in through the flue due to the exceptional weather conditions.

I've had no further problems so as this was about a month ago unlikely to be one of the other suggestions (from the maintenance policy contractor).

Is there a simple solution to protect the flue from further bad weather water ingress.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You did not say but I presume that you had the PCB replaced.

The horizontal section should slope down AWAY from the boiler at an angle of about 3 degrees.

Can you measure the angle?

Did the repairer mention that and check it?

Tony Glazier

Hi Tony

Yes the board was replaced but he did not say he had checked the fitting of the flue.

I think the engineer was reluctant to commit himself as he did give three options - (water from the flue, leaky expansion tank, leaking condenser?) as I said above I think the others can be ruled out as there has been no reoccurence.

As far as I'm aware he did not inspect the exterior even from a distance.

I've had a look and to me it appears to be level, although I don't think I could judge 3 degrees from the ground . I would need to get up a ladder to be exact.

The flue does face the prevailing wind but is sheltered by my neighbours house - although I suppose that's neither here or there.

To my completely clueless eye the flu does not look very long - probably less than a foot?

You would normally check the flue angle from the boiler location.

This is very basic but you would be surprised how many installers get it wrong!

Tony

Sponsored Links
That's interesting. The engineer is a sub from Baxi so maybe I should get back and ask if he did before I attempt to check from the boiler.

I do have a service contract so would it be reasonable the next time they are out to ask them to check for me.

If not I hate to ask but dare I attempt to check this myself?

Nothing very clever there.

All you need is a spirit level and measuring tape and a little trigonometry!

Tony

I can't thank you enough for your help Tony.

Great stuff. The maths I can do, accessing the flue as it is a wall mounted boiler could be a challenge.

I found this site from a link on a forum when my current cover's engineer couldn't sort my heating out and I decided to look at others.

After 20 minutes checking this site I have gone from freezing to toasty warm over the weekend having sorted my expantion tank, checked and sorted my trv, bled and balanced my system.

My system no longer makes a noise either.

I've had three visits from engineers over the last two years who didn't "sort it".

Very unfortunately many of those doing boiler repairs are rather lacking in the appropriate knowledge.

Very unfortunately customers dont help because they prefer to choose the cheapest rather than the best!

Its normally easy to see the flue leaving the boiler and check the angle ( unless its one of the rare ones with the flue leaving behind the boiler rather than the usual on top ).

Tony

Ooops it goes out the back! As I said challenging.

I think my local subs also sub!! I think I've been a bit unlucky, the last guy hasn't even replaced the cover. Funnily I have just received a customer service questionnaire.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back