Rain on fresh poured concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just under two weeks ago, builders poured a concrete slab for a large shed alongside my house - approximate dimensions 30' long, 13' wide at one end narrowing to 10' wide at the other. The ground was prepared with shuttering and around a 3" layer of loose gravel before the concrete was poured on top - around a 3" thickness. Sorry this is all so vague, I wasn't actually around when all this happened!

Anyway, the concrete was poured in the morning, and in the afternoon it rained - a lot, so my wife tells me. The concrete was not covered. Four days later the shed was constructed on top of the slab. Obviously there was a lot of moisture coming out of the slab, so I've been trying to keep the floor clear, and leaving the doors open every day to allow it to dry. The problem is, the top surface is very soft; wearing trainers, pivoting on the ball of one foot will result in loose sand. Sweeping the floor with a stiff yard brush pulls yet more sand loose.

Will the floor stabilise, given time - and if so, how much time? Anything I can do to help it? All advice gratefully received - unless it's to start again, which would be rather inconvenient at this point!

Many thanks,
Martin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back