Rain sensing not working after new windscreen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a 67 plate C350e which 2 weeks ago had the windscreen replaced after a brick hit it.

Since the windscreen was replaced I've not really driven it in rain until yesterday when it became obvious that the windscreen wipers at position 1 and 2 on the stalk aren't working. They swipe once when I turn the stalk to pos 1 or 2 but nothing else... position 3 is continuous and that works. Auto lights work....

So... the windscreen people were a bit of a nightmare... the guy was clearly in a rush and having noticed that the screen had frozen on the inside 2 days after fitting it took a number of days for me to get an explanation that actually this is normal in very cold weather and is caused by the glue condensating as it heats and goes off - their answer.. use the car.. get it warm and it'll go.... and to be fair it did... but it took several days of phone calls to get through to a technician who could help.. so.......... the wipers

Ive made the call again and its clearly going to be days before I get an answer again. This morning.. Ive taken the cover off the rear view mirror... just to see if it was something as simple as a connector not being in place and Ive seen this (see pic).. the top left connector with the 2 solder points. Im kinda wondering what that is and if its the rain sensor... because if so......... its got nothing plugged into it.... and thus.. the cable could be in the roof lining... I haven't dug around for it yet, I thought Id come and see what everyone thought first.

Any ideas please?? thanks in advance!!
IMG_1861a.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Id say likely yes the rain sensor which works on positions 1 and 2 on my passat which i believe shares the same system. Don 't know why position 2 is also on the sensor but i find it works better in many cases.

Blup

Thanks for your response Blup..... Do you think the thing in the top left is the rain sensor then and actually should have something connected?? I don't want to go routing round in the roof lining for a cable really unless I know that it should be there first really..

I dont know but theres a guy on here called burnerman who will likely know.

My guess is somethings got disconnected maybe when the new screen was fitted, maybe a coincidence. But the rain sensor is not physically connected to the windscreen afaik.

Blup

Sponsored Links
The rain sensor is the large bit, with the yellow sticker on it.

HTH
Neil.

If it was an insurance job, get back onto your insurance company and they’ll them it was working before, it isn’t now and you want it fixed. They’ll deal with the windscreen company. Sometimes they have to fit new sensors or even an OE screen to get it working again. (My wife used to work in the offices of a windscreen company and this problem was not uncommon).

Very limited experience with this one but I'd suspect the incorrect screen has been fitted. Either way, back to the installer .
John :)

Back