Rain water into waste drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I know that it is completely wrong to run waste water into the rain/storm drains but is it ok to run rain water into a waste drain/sewer? Looking to add down pipe from my gutter and it's easier to run into the kitchen drain.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a combined system already, surface water should not drain into the foul system.

I stand corrected. I thought when I done a stint for dyno rod it was acceptable as glasgows full of combined systems. Live and learn.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Probably a silly question but is there a simply way to find out if I have a combined system?

how old is the house? older houses are often combined

lift a manhole and flush a WC. Then pour a bucket of water down a rain gulley. Do they both pass through, or can you hear them both downstream?

As far as building control and designers are concerned there are options to rainwater disposal.

First choice is to drain into a soakaway on your own property.

Second choice is to drain into a dedicated storm drain system.

Third choice is to drain into the foul system.

Third choice usually applies when ground conditions i.e. clay ground is present, or when geography or nearby structures dictates that a soakaway is not practical.

Even if you presently have a combined system or where there is a dedicated storm system available, building control would still prefer you to build a soakaway rather than just dump your rainwater in the nearest brook or sewerage plant.

Thanks for the replies. My house was built in the 1930s.

I want to add the additional down pipe down the side of my house which is a small walk way making it difficult to get to any soak away but easy to drop straight into a waste drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back