Rainproof jacket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a decent, waterproof jacket that does not make me sweat so I think it needs to have breathable fabric. I’d prefer hi viz but am not too fussed about that.

Can anyone recommend a jacket that will keep me warm and dry while working outside over the winter. I’d like something that does not cost a month’s wages but all suggestions are welcome.

I want to use it for work and it would be handy to have something 100% rainproof when I am away in my caravan.

Sponsored Links
You'll have to compensate somewhere on that list, you will not achieve it all. The really hi spec stuff from the likes of Mammut, Rab or Patagonia etc may seem extraordinary expensive but if you want all that (expect the hi Vis bit) you'll have to suck it up. They do last though.

For a few years now I've used a heated jacket or gilet (Makita18v, if it really matters) for use beneath a waterproof in winter. This allows me to work up on roofs, for example, when when it is icy cold. I tend to find that keeping my feet, legs and hands warm is a far bigger problem. Personally not so keen on spending megabucks on outer jackets simply because as work wear they will eventuslly get damaged. So if you want to spend £200+ on a Gore-Tex lined jacket, just be aware that if it is used for heavy work it won't last. So for me something like a cheape Leo does just fine, especially as I invaribly need to buy heated gloves and sock pads every winter, and maybe some base layer (e.g. "long coms")

Look at it being 2 separate items.

I say have a look at something like a divers drysuit underwear e.g. https://www.lomo.co.uk/products/ele...IncyxbEHY_4BWfAZSfuPj8WPWoxC5HcIaAp5xEALw_wcB or https://www.ndiver.com/bodycore-sub-zero-undersuit.
You want a Fleece undersuit that is close fitting the diver would wear under a Neoprene drysuit. They can be found with a water resistant 'skin'. Wear your normal work clothes over the fleece suit. Loose fitting undersuits are worn under membrane dry suits and so are thicker and looser.
And/Or 'Helly Hanson' wool Base Layers.

Waterproofs - difficult to suggest as the most water proof usually do not breath. Something that has a water resistance of 3000mm+.

Sponsored Links
I can hear the kids calling out, "Hey mister, are you Dick Tracy?" as you saunter past nonchalantly in your trench coat and wellies with your collar raised

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. I now realise that I was looking for the impossible. I’ll have a look for something suitable. It was very cold and pouring with rain this morning, so I have the incentive to get a move on.

It was very cold and pouring with rain this morning, so I have the incentive to get a move on.
That's what you always say to the lads if they complain about being cold - "so just work harder!" ;)

You can get surplus "foul weather" jackets, new or used, that are very effective. For some reason my RAF one does not have a hood, but there is a bigger RN one that does. I expect there are Army ones but I wouldn't want camo.

Zip in warm liners come separately.

Edit: I just had a look on ebay, there are new ones at low price, there must have been a recent warehouse sale.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've got a couple of Spyder waterproof hoodies for when not too cold and gortex army jackets when wet an cold you can get them pretty cheap from surplus stores

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back