Cement mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a cement mixer and wanted some advice on what to look for as I'm a complete novice.

The reason I want one is I have a lot of garden works which as a DIYer who has to consult the internet and YouTube, it would not be economical for me to hire one.

I have 2 small walls i would like to build and some paving slabs to lay for a patio.

Screwfix will do me an electric mixer with 134L drum and stand for £299 - Is that decent or am I missing something? I'd rather pay less but I guess I can sell it on when I eventually finish or give up! :LOL:

Can it be left outside under a tarp?

EDIT: Just seen a Charles Bentley 63L for £180 on Amazon. Anyone with experience of this brand?

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Belle was always a good make - good enough for you to see builders all over the place using them, and for the hire fleets to offer them. Part of the reason, I'm sure, is parts availability - if you can get parts then you can repair them (mine once got dropped so badly it needed a new drum - it was delivered overnight). I had that one (a 110v model) for about 10 years when I was rebuilding a couple of houses. The main problem these days is the price - you are looking at £450+, but secondhand ones fetch reasonable prices and seem to retain their value if looked after, so a clean second hand one might be a good buy

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a belle, worth its weight in gold and holds their resale value. Stored under a builders bulk bag.

Sponsored Links
I got got a cheap one from Screwfix , £220, used it 2 years then sold it on for £180. Just spend time to clean thoroughly after use .

Any tips on cleaning a cement mixer?

Do I just hose it down when done?

I've got a belle maxi 140 (I use mainly for concrete so I prefer this style). Mine cost £40 and must be 50 years old but still going strong. My dad had an ex hire standard belle for over 35 years - we were easily able to source a new bearing and oil seal for it a few years ago.

It was only in the past few years we discovered how easy it is to remove the drum for storage and transport.

Apparently a fire followed by a large bucket of cold water is a good way to clean the drum!

Screenshot_20220822-130301.png

Regular size shovels don't go into the 63L mixers, but on the other hand the little 63L mixers are easy to carry around. I'd go for a decent 2nd hand 134/140L, keep it clean, and sell it at end of job!

Any tips on cleaning a cement mixer?

Do I just hose it down when done?
Hose it down when your done but to remove any going off reside, chuck 1/2 dozen shovels of clean chipping with plenty of water ,they will scour the drum clean without beating 7 bells out of it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back