Rainwater Downpipe Into Grid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage which has the rainwater downpipe 'meeting' the drain grid cover at the bottom. There is no shoe at the bottom of the pipe, it simply ends/rests on the grid. Building inspector passed it like this. Trouble is, often with leaves/debris, the bottom of the pipe and top of the grid become clogged up.

I was thinking of cutting a round hole in the top cover so the downpipe rainwater goes straight in, assuming that, as the leaves exit the downpipe then they will go straight into the larger underground pipe and disappear forever. Is it a common practice to do it this way? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why not fit a mesh cage at the top of the downspout to stop leaves going down it and a plastic cover over the grid to stop debris clogging it up? That way you will reduce the risk of your underground pipes becoming clogged up. Just because something goes down a grid and out of sight doesn't mean it has flowed out to the sewage works.

Sponsored Links
Why not fit a mesh cage at the top of the downspout

I did think that, but the leaves and debris will just clog up at the top then, instead of the bottom. And there is already a grid at the bottom, so cutting a hole for the downpipe to go straight into the grid cover is the only way I could think of to have no clogging up. Surely anything which can fit into the narrower downpipe and out of the bottom could not clog the underground pipes which are twice the size?

I have noticed that some grid covers have a circular 'template' marked out which I assume is for this very purpose.

Getting the leaves off the top of the gully grid, is a lot easier than getting your hand down the gully trap and trying to scrape out a load of gooey crud

And if it runs to a soakaway you will block the inlet. I'd cut your downpipe off at 45degrees above the grid so leaves can escape it.

If gulley is accessible, (i.e. not surrounded by concrete or paving), swap it out for a rainwater, or Deans gulley, that will collect the detritus before it gets washed away.

I'd prefer to collect above ground too, ours smelled disguising and rubber gloves weren't far enough up my arm when I had to reach through the gully to clean ours out. Although admittedly also had all the hair etc from the bath and basin coming from a first floor hopper. The new one is similar to yours only has A 1 inch gap to clean the crud off the grid easily at ground level. The grid is removable for cleaning.
There must be a trap somewhere down there so that's your risky point for blockages.

If gulley is accessible, (i.e. not surrounded by concrete or paving), swap it out for a rainwater, or Deans gulley, that will collect the detritus before it gets washed away.

It already has a P trap, which I assume is the same thing?

Deans gulley has a removable bucket, which collects the muck, lift it out and empty as required. Rainwater gulley has a compartment to collect debris, although will need cleaning out manually. Doesn't have a trap though, so suitable for surface water systems only.

P traps are quite deep and not so easy to clean out, I'd be vary wary of putting even a gloved hand down, as you never quite know what might be in the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back