Downpipe & Damp Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a mid-terrace Victorian/Edwardian house and have a damp problem we think relates to a downpipe. Would be hugely grateful for any advice to help us solve this. The damp affects the kitchen wall where we have kitchen units on the inside and whenever we open the doors or drawers of the cabinets on the affected wall there is a really bad damp smell.

The downpipe which collects the water from the roof gutters comes down outside our back door which runs along the kitchen wall which is damp. We think this wall is damp because the rainwater may be going straight into the ground and not into a proper soakaway or drain, so it is not soaking away well enough and is being soaked up the walls.

There is a narrow side passageway where the back door and downpipe is, this is block paved. In the past we lowered all the block paving as we had been advised that it had been built up too high and that was what was causing the damp. But now almost 2 years on the damp has returned in spite of this.

When we were lowering the block paving we dug around at the base of the downpipe but could not see any pipes leading off from it underground or where it is running to. I'll try and upload a picture if I'm allowed, but at ground level it's a cast iron pipe and it goes into a sort of spherical base at the bottom where it meets the block paving so you can't actually see where/how the downpipe itself ends.

I put a drain rod down it and the rod goes down only about a foot underground but then hits presumably solid earth.

There is a manhole for toilet/sink waste almost adjacent to the downpipe. We think this was added by the last owners and wonder if it has somehow blocked wherever the rainwater was previously draining to, but not sure about this.

Anyway, are we allowed to try and join the downpipe so to empties into the manhole? If so, how do we do this please? The manhole has a metal cover (the usual sort) and then a sort of rectangular chamber with which look to be cement or similar not sure if/how we could get a pipe into this.

Also the manhole itself and drain run seems very shallow and not sure if that would cause a problem.

Very grateful for any advice. From reading on line we've heard talk about digging a pit for a soakaway but this would be very difficult as firstly it's a narrow passage unless we were to make the downpipe extend several metres underground into the garden itself and this would mean a lot of taking up of block paving, patio and digging which would be a nightmare. We can manage some DIY but are not experts at all.

We really need to solve the damp problem as it's affecting the kitchen cabinets and the kitchen itself and we're worried about what it's doing go the brickwork so would be very grateful for any help and advice.

Sponsored Links
If the existing downpipe just goes into the ground, that is the cause of your damp problems.

If you make a soakaway, it will have to be many metres away from the house and any other buildings. Therefore your idea of extending the downpipe many meters into the garden (and then into a soakaway pit) would actually be the only correct way to do it.

Connecting the pipe into the existing manhole is almost certainly NOT an option, as surface water should not be going into the foul sewers.

Given the age of your property, there is a good chance the Sewers may be combined foul and storm. Certainly worth finding out. For old buildings try your local records office.

You really need to get down deeper where the rainwater pipe goes into the ground. It could be your drain rod has simply hit a sharpish bend at the bottom, even a gully trap. Either will stop your rod. What you are trying to do is find out where the drain goes and check if it is damaged. Leaking drains near your house need to be eliminated.

It is definately worth uploading a photo of what you have found so far. It's too early to say if you need to do work on the drains.

Hi,

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Just from a bit of Googling I've found conflicting advice re whether the downpipes can be linked to the manhole waste. It seems it is not correct practice now for new buildings but maybe was in the past?

Blagard, thanks for your reply - does this mean that if the sewers are combined I am allowed to link the downpipe water to the manhole? How/where would I go about checking this in a public records office please?

I will try and upload a picture. Have not yet dug up again as when we last dug up to lower all the block paving we had a bit of a root around and just couldn't see any pipes leading off from the downpipe where it goes into the ground. My only guess is that possibly when the previous owners had the paving done, or planted the side passage garden or if/when they put in a new manhole this somehow disturbed/blocked whatever arrangement there had been previously for the rainwater to disperse.

Am just looking for the easiest option to sort this out causing as little upheaval in the garden as possible as we are at our wits end with the damp in the kitchen after we put in new units and can't use them as the smell of damp is so bad.

I will try to take a picture and see if I can upload it here. Thx again.

Sponsored Links
Your local building control department should know if the drains are a combined system or not. If it is, then I would consider it very possible that your existing rainwater could already be connected via a junction. In which case the problem may simply be a blocked or damaged drain below ground. A combined system is just that, it takes both waste water and rainwater and I would expect to be able to connect the rainwater to it.

I have on occassion consulted my local records office to dig up old information on construction. For example I wanted to see the original plans for my house (1937). I went to my local records office and with the help of the people there, managed to get a copy of the original approved building control drawings, which I would add, included the drainage details.
So you need to ask them how to search their records for what you want.

I referred to the records office because it is an alternative way of finding out what you should be there on older properties. It is a way of getting an idea of what is going on in the ground without digging up! - Note I say "idea", they didn't always follow the drawings in thsoe days either!

PS, the resolution of your photos seems too low to see clearly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back