Downpipe not going to soakaway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I recently had a roofer come out to look at my leaking guttering. When he came he showed me the downpipe was full of water and some moss etc. He kindly cleared it out for me but had told me that the downpipe just discharges to just under the blocks on my block paving. He showed me that the hardcore is being washed away and the downpipe keeps getting blocked back up with water because it has no where to drain to. He said when my driveway was fitted, it should Have been connected to a soak away and I should get the driveway fitter back out. Before I contact the driveway fitter, is it common for downpipes to be connected to soakaways, and is this expected to be done when fitting a driveway?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Downpipes have to drain to soakaways now to prevent the sewerage system being overwhelmed particularly during heavy rain. It is not the responsibility of the driveway layer to attach your downpipe to the soak-away. It is possible there is a soakaway that has silted up.

Blup

Thanks for reply. There is no soak away attached to bottom of downpipe, you can feel under the drive there is no route to one if one is fitted, so water just sits under drive. It doesn’t help the drive is angled towards house so when it has heavy rain I get a little flooding at bottom of drive. Is it an issue downpipe having no outlet to drain or soak away?

It is an issue when the slope is towards the house, it is worth considering installing a suitable soak away, has to be at 3(?) metres away

Blup

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back