Rainwater question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I have a question I would like assistance with please relating to the drainage of rainwater on a public highway where the road surface meets the kerb.

I refer to the attached image where there is a solid grey line along the edge, into the centre and then back to the edge in 'Joiners Lane'. The map key states that this grey line is a 'gravity sewer'. I believe this grey line is what is used to remove rainwater from the road surface of Joiners Lane. We have recently had some repair work undertaken to the pipework on our property that removes toilet waste and the engineers advised that they were very sure that in Joiners Lane, rainwater would not mix with toilet waste water. I also have a seperate drawing showing a 'foul sewer' down Joiners Lane.

Note Joiners Lane passes down a valley where the higher ground is on the right hand side of the image and the lower ground is towards the left hand side of the image.

Joiners Lane has what I believe to be called 'gulleys' at approximately 50m intervals along its length where the road surface meets the kerb. These gulleys have a square 'grate' with slots / openings on top of them (ie they allow rain water to flow into the 'gulley'. The gulleys are on opposite sides of Joiners Lane but are rarely opposite. Each of these gulleys have chambers in them that are around 60cm diameter and a 3ft drop down to water

My question is are each of these gulleys likely to be connected to the grey gravity sewer and if so are they likely to be in a 'herringbone arrangement' or are they likely to be in a `series arrangement'.

Many thanks

Paul

Attachments

• 20210123_200226.jpg
    20210123_200226.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Your local utility company should be able to tell you what type of drainage you have & where it runs, give them a call

Hi many thanks. This is apparently a local authority issue and not a utility company and the local authority have been uncontactable hence me asking here

Sponsored Links
I don't know where you live but around here United Utilities are responsible for & have drawings of all public sewerage.

Unless you have a soak away or septic tank, surface water & sewage both have to go somewhere, have you tried ringing your local utility company?

the utility company have said that as I am talking about rain water on the local highway it is a local authority issue and it is nothing to do with the utility company

Highways or utility company. Probably starting the conversation by asking about the drainage rather than rain water may get you an answer.

When I spoke to the local authourity we established the type of water I was asking about ie w rain water that fell from the sky into the gulleys that are positioned where the road surface meets the kerbside. We established I wasnt talking about toilet water. They could not confirm whether the gulleys were in a herringbone or in series

What is the purpose of you finding out how the sewers/gullies meet up underground? Better off asking in the Building section.

Im trying to understand how the rain water drainage system is connected up as we have had some rain water drainage issues on our local roads. Thanks for the guidance on the building section. I should have put this post there

I don't think there will be a set way of doing a layout, it will probably vary from street to street depending on how many gullies there are & whether they are connected to a single run each side of the road or one down the centre. I would think surface water will eventually flow through a treatment plant along with the sewage so they must become a combined sewer at some point so if utility company cannot tell you then you might struggle to even find out from the council. Do you know if there is a local company that the council sub-contract road works to. They may have some local knowledge about the gulley layout in your area.

If there is a problem with road drainage it surely just needs to be reported to the local highways authority, if you don't get anywhere through the usual channels put in a complaint.

its been reported, Im merely trying to understand the system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back