Raised decking over steep slope project/advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll start by showing some pics of the proposed site -

IMG_20150327_074955114_zps42midskv.jpg

IMG_20150327_075037474_zpsejm2tbjm.jpg

IMG_20150327_075052929_zpsnixjmuae.jpg

I've never known what to do with the area, it's quite large so could become a handy sitting space to look out over the garden. I'm an electrician by trade but really want to do this project by myself (with a bit of help).

I have one concern though, the garden has previously been 'dug into' to make room for a garage. A retaining wall was then built but as you can see there is an overhang of earth above this retaining wall.

I will need to concrete in some 4x4 posts but I'm not sure how to approach it with the garden just stopping like that, does that make sense? Should I remove this earth first to create an even slope and then dig my posts in?

So first things firtst will be getting the 4x4 posts in, any advice or ideas would be appreciated, what would you do etc :D

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
The ground is going to erode so it needs digging out or retaining.

If you wanted you could use recessed concrete posts with the concrete gravellboards that fit them.

The gravel boards would be used as the the retaining wall and the recess could be used to fit a decking joist.

And as you would have concrete in the ground instead of timber no worries about it rotting.

212000_211133_92292_42756830_thumb.jpg

Personally I'd worry about putting another retaining wall close to, and ultimately transmitting loads to, the existing one. If it all goes t**ts up that shed will be a goner, and the garage might get damaged.

Removal and disposal (what's on the other side of that green fence? ;) ) would be better, IMO.

Whatever you do it would be a crime not to use the height differences to install a nice water feature:

12194346833_7ea5fd46ec.jpg

Actually - something that scale might be a tad ambitious... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Retaining walls for earth require a lot of thought. The pressure on them can be enormous and more than a simple vertical wall will stand up to. The wall may appear to be adequate as it holds the dry earth for a few months after it has been built. But rain will make the earth much heavier and fluid and pressure on the wall will increase.

A curved wall is much stronger than a straight wall, convex towards the high ground, as it cannot simply topple over. ( look at large dams )

Drainage is essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back