Raised decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking at building a 6mx7m raised deck in my garden, what size do the support post need to be?(100x100?) how deep do I dig the support holes if the deck is to be raised 1m? What should the centres of each post be?

Sponsored Links
If the deck is to be raised by 1m i would have doubts about 100mm square posts being sufficient but it will depend upon distance apart v's number of posts used.

I came across something similar recently whereby the four corners of the decking were supported by railway sleepers whilst intermediate supports were 150mm x 150mm.

Sponsored Links
I am in the process of planning permission (thanks for the advice)

Its the depth of the posts and what centres to put them at i'm lost with, cant seem to find this info out.

please help

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a 6mx7m raised deck in my garden, what size do the support post need to be?(100x100?) how deep do I dig the support holes if the deck is to be raised 1m? What should the centres of each post be?

100x100 posts will suffice, however depending on species of tree they have been cut from, country that they have come from, preservative treatment used, they could still rot inside 3 years.
Suggest bolt concrete fencing spur back of each post.
Will then last your lifetime out.:rolleyes:
With spurs attached 600 to 750mm in ground will do you.
As nose said 3000 centres, 50x150 joists at 400 or 450 centres. :eek:
oldun :LOL:

Thanks oldun, sorry for sounding thick here but what do you mean "Suggest bolt concrete fencing spur back of each post."?

Thanks oldun, sorry for sounding thick here but what do you mean "Suggest bolt concrete fencing spur back of each post."?
I think what Old codger was inferring was to concrete in a godfather type concrete post then bolt some timbers to these .

How deep do the holes need to be and how wide? Is the best way to do these using a power auger? :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back