underground gym in back garden - is it allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello and thanks for reading, well ive just sold my old house with a nice sized back yard and am moving into a place with a much smaller garden and am thinking of ways to arrange things.
the back garden measures approx 6.5mx 5m
Ive seen some good inspiration in places and want to move away from the idea of a big summerhouse and have seen some nice examples of raised decking but...
The idea come to me of digging a 3m x 3m x 1.5m hole enough to use as a gym area/ submerged room (tanked) and the missus could get her raised decking above the said submerged room, virtually a decking roof on the submerged room with the raised portion allowing light in.
i know its quite possible to build but dont know what the regulations are for such a thing?
thanks in advance, J

Sponsored Links
Might be? You need to apply for planning permission. Before you do that though I would make sure it's technically feasible. A conversation with building control would be sensible.

If you are on sloping ground it might work but if level then I think not.
You'll basically have a tank underground that will flood.

Re: Planning I'd guess it would be classed as an outbuilding and provided it was within the Permitted Development rules it would be exempt unless you have any Permitted Development restrictions on your house.

Re: Building Regs: they would not apply either.

It has to be said though that access would be interesting but nothing that couldn't be overcome, you can get glass rooflights that can be walked upon although they are pricey. Would be advisable to employ a structural engineer to do a basic design though. Easy to tank a structure such as this and the hatch if properly detailed could easily be made watertight.

Sponsored Links
So while the missus is up sunning herself on the deck, hubby has lowered himself into a dungeon with a submarine type lid on top sweating his freaking ba@lls off looking at four walls.
Real smart that is ...

Whats wrong with using the garage and put the car out for a while or going down the gym?

thanks for the replies, i know such a build is a little wierd to say the least but alas a crap gym nearby and no garage calls for desperate measures, and yes it would be on sloped ground, i dont know much about the size of sheds requiring approval and would this if only a timber structure above ground be classed under such regs?

if you do go for decking on top don't forget you need permission for a raised platform that's more than 300mm above the highest point off the ground it cover

Thanks all for the replies, I've had a read through that link but still none the wiser on underground structures, i'll have to give building control a call i suppose[/list]

I'm pretty sure it would be classed as an outbuilding and as such the relevant rules (already posted) would apply. Probably worth a call to the Planning Department anyway though. They won't bite(ish).

Re: Building Regs I'm pretty sure it will be exempt, as you say though may be worth a call to make sure though.

We all know its a bit of a pipe dream though don't we! :mrgreen:

Even if it is exempt from building regs, you're going to want some expert advice.

If you're digging to a depth of 1.5m within the vicinity of the house, you don't want to affect the existing foundations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back