raised flower bed on concrete floor: drainage issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a small concreted garden and am thinking about putting a raised flower bed at the end (against a brick wall) using railway sleepers. The flower bed will be approx 80cm high and my question is what do I need to do about drainage.

I have a load of pebbles and rubble I was going to stick on the bottom of the bed and then put compost and soil over to help the drainage. Anyone forsee any problems with this? The brick wall has a few gaps at the base to let water drain out so I assume this will add to the drainage.

My only one thought is the rubble has a lot of dirt and a few weeds in it and was wondering will this just mean that my raised flower bed will be inundated with weeds in a short space of time?

All help is gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
no problems with the drainage. depends what the weeds are. if its bindweed etc then it will need removing

A layer of permeable membrane over the rubble will stop weeds getting through whilst ensuring that soild doesn't get into this drainage layer and clog it up. Ironically, it will also prevent the soil above it from drying out too quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back