Raised flowerbed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to build a raised flowerbed along one side of the garden. Plan is to use garden sleepers & ground stakes but my issue is that it will back onto a wooden fence that isn't entirely flush to the ground - so I can foresee soil falling under it into next door.

Could it be as simple as using some membrane/plastic sheeting up against the fence and then filling in with soil? Could it cause problems with the fence longer term?

Sponsored Links
The first question to ask is do you own the fence? If not, then you cannot legally do what you are proposing.

Well there's a slightly bigger spanner in the works than I was expecting! It is the neighbour's fence.

So I guess the only option if I wanted to proceed with this would be to insert sleepers on the fence side too - I.e. Build a fully boxed bed?

Of course you must box it and also keep it a few inches away from the fence.

Did you not consider piling a foot of soil against a fence might have a detrimental effect??

Sponsored Links
Well there's a slightly bigger spanner in the works than I was expecting! It is the neighbour's fence.

Well, it's his property so you can't attach anything to it, paint it, pile soil against it, lean anything on it, grow plants up it etc etc.

In any case, as r896neo says, using a wooden fence to retain a depth of soil is likely to damage the fence, even if it was yours.

use some cheap 4x1inch gravel boards up against the neighbours fence. put some polythene up against the fence side and forget about it : ) ..unless of course youre planning on growing ivy up in for the next 30 years which it turn will pull a fence over. i seriously wouldnt worry about it. people nail, screw and hang things to the neighbours fence all day.

i seriously wouldnt worry about it. people nail, screw and hang things to the neighbours fence all day.

And a good number of them turn into bitter neighbour disputes. You might be relaxed about your neighbours damaging your fence, not everyone is.

you find one person who is too terrified to grow their clematis up the neighbours fence and i'll show you fifty who use it as an integral part of their garden. join the real world mate-

you find one person who is too terrified to grow their clematis up the neighbours fence and i'll show you fifty who use it as an integral part of their garden. join the real world mate-

Terrified is your word, not mine. I've pointed out the legality of the situation for the OP who was proposing using his neighbour's fence to support the soil in his raised bed.

I respect my neighbour's property and that's the kind of world I prefer to live in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back