Raised flowerbed with a single depth sleeper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently had path laid and it's about 20cm higher than the existing ground, so I’m going to create a raised flowerbed using maybe 4 sleepers end to end, they will be laid on their side (i.e. narrow side down so it gives me the 20cm i need).

I have looked on forums (including this one) as to how to secure them to the ground. They have said....

1) Use stakes (presumably one either side at both ends)
2) Drill a hole through the sleeper and hammer a rebar through it.

So my preference would be to go for the first option as it will save me about £30. But will the first option be secure enough? The stakes would be 12" and i reckon two thirds of it would be underground.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Sponsored Links
Hi, can anyone give me their opinion? I will need to order the bits soon. Thanks

Stakes will be fine. use offcuts of timber or metal straps to join the butted sleepers.

It should last a couple of years before it shows signs of toppling, at which time it wouldn't take too much effort to re-set them if needs be

as said stake will be fine. there is very litle force acting to topple the sleeper so its not a major issue

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back