Raised path by house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a raised path by the front of my house retained by a dry stone wall about four feet high. I’d like to break the path up and repurpose the space as a flower border however I’m worried that the concrete might form part of the foundations for the house. Is there a way I can check before committing?

The house is stone built circa 1880

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
dig a hole and have a look.

It won't be

a raised flowerbed against the house, however, will promote damp

unless it is well below the DPC that you possibly haven't got.

(chemical injections don't count.

or work)

A house that old is v. unlikely to have any foundation beyond a couple.of courses of stone underground.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify the path is raised from the adjacent existing path and is formed from a steep slope on the side of a valley. The flower border won’t be raised further than the existing concrete path however. The dpc is approximately a further four feet above the existing path level.

My concern really is could the concrete path be preventing the house wall from moving down the slope?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back