Raising 5.4m Wide Sliding Door by 10mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was hoping to flush fit the large sliding doors, so kids (and me, really) wouldn't trip over them when going in and out of the house. Trouble is that after having done my last calculations, I'm consistently 1cm (10mm) too low. So the finished floor with stick up by 10mm above the doorframe.

I'm not sure how problematic this will be, but I'd rather fix it now instead of seeing a rough unfinished side of the floor when the doors are open. As such I'm looking to fix "something" to the bricks to bring them up by 10mm.

Initially I thought about a 10mm mortar bed, but I don't think this will be strong enough. It will also be tricky to have a very consistent 10mm bed I think.

Any thoughts on what I might be able to squeeze in that won't compact and will be strong enough for a door this size?

NOTE: door has not been fitted or ordered yet. I will ask the fitter as well when I next see him, but thought I'd ask here too for some good ideas.

Sponsored Links
You would be best to measure the height of the doors 10-20mm short in the height so you are able to raise the doors up and then pointing under the cill. You would need to level under the cill anyway with packers. Place the packers every 500-600mm

for example is the measurement from top of brick to lintel is 2100mm. Make the doors 2080mm in height then you have 20mm to play with once levelled underneath and you raise it all up to sit 10mm above floor level.

I used a continuous strip of uPVC fascia to lift my bifolds up when the brick finished a bit low.

Sponsored Links
I used a continuous strip of uPVC fascia to lift my bifolds up when the brick finished a bit low.
Exactly what I had in mind. Good to hear that's a valid option!

PS: Starting cutting in to the walls to fit that concealed cistern (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back