raising concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mother, in her wisdom, has decided she wants to raise the floor in her living room. Let me explain.

The room was originally a garage extension. About 15 years ago we knocked through and made it a living room. But it has always felt harsh and cold and "boxy" in there, and theres 2 steps down into there too.

What my mother proposes is to have reclaimed floorboards laid and have underfloor heating. The concrete is about 6-8 inches lower than the rest of the house floor, so she wants it raising to this level.

What I was thinking (i have seen this done in brand new homes) is to lay a 6 inch slab of polystyrene down and then tongue-groove chipboard, and then the reclaimed wood, but where could you put underfloor heating with that? Alternatively, i will talk her out of reclaimed wood - hopefully by telling her it is too expensive etc ;)

Which UFH is best (cheapest to run)? Wet or electric?

Sponsored Links
Couldn't you fabricate a suspended floor instead, then you would have ample room to install insulation and heating?

suspended wooden floor? hmm. i'm looking for an easy DIY solution here ;)

How about 4-5 inches of foil polystyrene (i dont think the original floor was insulated - it was built as a garage), and then the UFH pipes, then a screed and then the floor covering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back