Raising floor caused by hot pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I moved to this new flat, top floor, 7 months ago.
Hot water and Central Heating are working with a Potterton boiler Kingfisher(the way it looks like seems to be 8 or 9 years old), an indirect cylinder(Manco), a pump and a motorized valve (honeywell).
The entire system should be an open vent system, with a small water tank(uncovered and without insulation) in the loft with 2 pipes. One of the pipe has a red small container with a pressure gauge, and I just found out that the pressure is not as it should be, It marks 0.4 bar in stead of 1.5 or 2.

How the problem started.
Beginning of december it was very cold and I set the hambient thermostat quite high 27 degrease. The central heating, that day, worked for at least 4 hours continuously trying to reach the temperature. After 4 hours I smelt burnt wood coming from where the cylinder is located.(Bathroom). I switched off the system. After 2 hours I put it back on and i started hearing strange clicking noises coming from the the nearest radiator to the bathroom.(never happened before, since I moved).
The day after I saw the wooden floor in the corridor and the floor with tails in the kitchen slightly raised. It got worse and worse day after day. Now I can see the route of the pipes in my flat following the raised floor.
I called a plummer, he came and the only thing he said was, it is normal pipes get hot and expand, probably they sliped out the clips and now they are lifting the floor.
Now I set the pump speed 2 and not 3, and turned down ''the power of the boiler''. There is not air into the radiators.
What could have caused this problem? what should I do?
Thank you.
Angelo.

Sponsored Links
concrete or wooden subfloor?

Need to also know how hot the surface of the wood got.

I take it you mean wood floor as in the finished floor. Is it a solid , engineered or laminate floor?

concrete or wooden subfloor?

Need to also know how hot the surface of the wood got.

I take it you mean wood floor as in the finished floor. Is it a solid , engineered or laminate floor?

Wooden subfloor.

Finished floor is laminated floor, except kitchen and bathroom, which is tiled floor.

The surface now doesn't get very hot because I turned the boiler down low. But before when the boiler had a different setting (3/4 of its full power) I could feel the hot pipes under my feet.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back