Raising floor level to hide pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room on the third floor of the house that I want to turn into a bathroom with concealed pipework. However I don't want to go chopping up the 100 year old joists. I'm thinking of creating a false floor about 6 inches higher than current level (ceiling is 10 foot, so height isn't an issue) and want to know whether there is any good reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If planned correctly you can take the pipework up the walls to the correct positions or run inline with joists to avoid cutting any joists .

If planned correctly you can take the pipework up the walls to the correct positions or run inline with joists to avoid cutting any joists .
Hi thanks, the main issue is routing the waste pipes. The joists run perpendicular to the direction the pipes need to go so I would have to box them in, which isn't ideal

Sponsored Links
I created a false floor above the existing bath room floor for exactly the same reason. In my case the oak floor boards had to be retained ( Grade II Listed building ) even though there were large holes in them. Hence the floor was built 3 inches above them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back