Rancid paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest a solution please??
I recently used a well known highstreet chain's own brand paint in a small bedroom which began to peel off when I removed the masking tape and resulted in me having to scrape it all off. I used a heat gun and it peeled away much in the same way as wall paper does. I then sanded down the most stubborn areas with an electric sander which took off some of the previous paint and exposed some of the plaster in some parts.

Local paint shop advised to paint the exposed plaster with watered down paint before re-painting with a better quality paint. Our house is 10 years old and that room hadn't been painted since we moved in and I had the original watered down paint stored in the attic so asked the shop owner if this would still be ok to use and he assured me it was.

I only used the watered down paint (the photo should give a better idea of size) on an area roughly 1m square and approx 20 - 30 dots varying in size, from a 5p piece to the size of a c/d. I then painted over with the better quality paint.
20180820_143632.jpg

The problem is that there is a sour, damp, revolting smell in the room and I'm convinced it's from the now dried old watered down paint. This bedroom is meant for my two year old and I can't use it as I'm afraid the odur could be harmful. I'm really hoping there's a product someone can recommend to eliminate this odour and make this room safe and habitable again or even someone who has been in a similar situation and share with me how it was resolved.

I partially blame the paint shop owner for my predicament, but alarm bells should have rung when I opened up the paint and thought the smell was a bit "off" .... I should have known better at my age!

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with the paint shop owner, personally if it's from the paint it will fade, might take a week or two just leave the windows open to get ventilation and wait for it to fade.
Although if that doesn't work, then that's not my fault for free advice!

I've been through a lot of **** recently with Valspar and smelly paint. I got paid compensation to rectify the problem and they recommended Zinnser BIN to seal in the bad paint and smell and repaint in your desired colour afterwards. Worth a try in this situation.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with the paint shop owner, personally if it's from the paint it will fade, might take a week or two just leave the windows open to get ventilation and wait for it to fade.
Although if that doesn't work, then that's not my fault for free advice!

Thanks for your reply. Ventilation has been a daily routine ever since I finished the last coat of paint 4 weeks ago. Still stinks. I don't blame the shop owner really, how was he to know the paint was rancid?

I've been through a lot of **** recently with Valspar and smelly paint. I got paid compensation to rectify the problem and they recommended Zinnser BIN to seal in the bad paint and smell and repaint in your desired colour afterwards. Worth a try in this situation.

Thanks for this. I emailed Zinnser yesterday, as it was a product whose name I had come across while looking for a solution on the internet. They replied today and recommended the primer. Several people complaining about Valspar paint having a dreadful stench is another thing I came across on the internet. Must be something they're aware of if they offered you compensation? Hope you had luck in sorting it out! Did Zinnser work for you with getting rid of the smell?

In my experience, if the paint stinks when you open the tin, it can take months for the smell to go.

BIN is pigmented shellac suspended in alcohol. Great product but not cheap. Clean brushes and rollers with household ammonia (which really stinks until the ammonia evaporates.

BIN will even mask the smell of dog urine.

Paint will grow bacteria, especially emulsion paint. Cheap paint will contain less biocide so might go bad faster, especially if stored in a warmish place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back