Random damp patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I have this damp patch about 1200mm up from floor, as you can see i scrapped the blistered paint off which basically just came off in a sheet. My question is does anyone know where this is coming from? i suspect next door as i live in a Victorian terraced house but then the walls are 400mm thick so not sure if its possible. And possibly a remedy too if there is one.

Thanks

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Pop round and speak to the neighbour and see if you can find out what is on the other side of the wall. Had a similar problem in a Victorian terrace here caused by a tiny pinholed pipe behind studwork on the other side of the party wall that had soaked the brickwork over time.

If you don't want to rent a fiber optic viewer like SeeSnake and make a small hole you may need to put a large hole in your wall to inspect what's going on behind it.

With my pinhole leak I could hear it in the pipes, they transmit the sound of high pressure turbulent water flow very well. You can also check your water meter over a 10 minute interval.

Damp would have associated yellow stains. It looks like you have some salts leeching out the plaster instead.

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks for the replys.

GeeTee

Next door are on holiday at the mo but i will ask them when they get back just in case.

Porque223

We don't have any pipes on that wall as its just a solid brick all plastered so any leeks would have to be coming from next door, it just seems weird that its not wet all the way down the wall if its a constant leaking pipe

Woody

You mention salts leeching out the plaster. Will this eventually go away on its own, or do i need to take action to stop it.

Many thanks for the help tho i am curious about these salts you mention Woody and more info on this would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back