Random switch/socket in bedroom; what is it for?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently move into a new house and in each bedroom there is a switch (at the usual socket height just above the skirting) which doesn't appear to do anything. They are not next to any other sockets and are located where I would expect to find a single socket in each room.

I unscrewed the switch to see if it was wired in and there is a single cable (30A I think) connected to it. The cable has red, black and earth without any tape on the black to indicate that it is a switch cable.

As a test, I connected a single socket to it but nothing that I plug into it works. I have checked the other sockets in the room and they are all fine; one in each room has 3 cables instead of the usual 2.

Could anybody suggest a purpose for these switches/sockets or how I could test to what they are?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure they aren't switched spurs/fused connection units from an old electric storage heater installation?

The house has central heating which has been installed since it was built in 1985 so I don't think that is what they are for.

In that case, can we have a picture? The fact that one socket in each room has three cables suggests these switches are simply spurred off the ring main, although whatever they were intended to power is no longer connected. This doesn't answer why you get nothing when you connect a single 13A socket, though.

Do the switches have a fuseholder? If not, are there any indications that they aren't normal light switches, such as 'ON' markings or a neon indicator?

Sponsored Links
Is it a switch or a double poled isolator with flex outlet?
From what you describe it does sound like storage heaters. Do you have 2 fuse boxes?

Storage heater in a bedroom? Unusual. Panel heater maybe.

A photo would be good.

Out of interest, how may CU's go you have? A photo of them would be good too.

If these switches are definitely dead, then you may find the other ends of the cables at or near your fusebox. Any sign of a second meter or fusebox having been present at some time?

Thank you all very much for your help.

Spark123/SparkySpike, there is a second fuse box next the the main box that doesn't do anything when the switch is turned off. I have unscrewed the panel and there are 2 live fuses, one marked PEAK and the other OFF.

I presume that this means the house used to have storage heaters; if this is the case, can I turn these switches into power sockets?

No unless you can find the cable and disconnect it from the off peak board and connect it to the normal tariff board
G.T.S:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back