RANDOM TRIPPING OUT OF RESIDUAL CURRENT DEVICE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone suggest a reason or reasons why the RCD in my Proteus Centaur consumer unit trips out the electric supply for no apparent reason?

This might happen at any time of the day or night any time of the year, sometimes every day for a few days & then it might be every few weeks, it even happens when we are just sat watching TV & doesn't seem to be related to anything being switched on or plugged in.

When I reset the RCD switch again immediately after everything has gone off, the supply is resumed.

Any constructive advice will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Please can anyone suggest a reason or reasons why the RCD in my Proteus Centaur consumer unit trips out the electric supply for no apparent reason?

This might happen at any time of the day or night any time of the year, sometimes every day for a few days & then it might be every few weeks, it even happens when we are just sat watching TV & doesn't seem to be related to anything being switched on or plugged in.

When I reset the RCD switch again immediately after everything has gone off, the supply is resumed.

Any constructive advice will be much appreciated.

Could be a faulty RCD.

Sponsored Links
The word Proteus is not one that we like around here.

The first step will be to have the RCD tested to see if it is functioning properly. You need a proper tester for this, so an electrician is your best bet.

If the RCD tests out OK then its a matter of testing circuits to check if there are any earth faults, or earthy circuits. When i am checking out one of these, I always start be eliminating any outside electric circuits, then check out where water and electriciaty can come together (eg central heating systems, etc).

But get that RCD checked out first
(PS pressing the test button is not sufficient!).

But get that RCD checked out first
(PS pressing the test button is not sufficient!).
Indeed - and it might be the last time it's ever pressed :)

Seriously, given that the OP's problem is that of repeated and unexplained RCD trips, it's almost certain that it would trip in response to pressing the test button, even if faulty. As you imply, it needs testing properly to make sure that it has not become 'over sensitive', rather than to show that it can trip (which we know it can!).

Kind Regards, John

Please will JW2 advise?
I agree with everything that others have said. DS's comment was a reference to my daughter's Protek (not Proteus) RCD, which blew up when she pressed the test button: ...
Sorry John, I got my P's mixed up ! Both items are of similar 'quality'.
You're probably right. However, to be fair, I think what happened was probably a 'fluke', due to some manufacturing error which could not have been detected by testing at the time - and therefore might have happened even with a product of the most reputable make. Something went wrong with manufacture such that eventually (after several years of pushing the test button regularly without any adverse consequences) operation of the mechanism managed to slice through the insulation:

Kind Regards, John

Thanks to all for your input

I will get the CU checked out to make sure the fault isn't on the electrical circuits
As the CU was fitted in1991 it's perhaps the time to consider a replacement unit

A new CU will not fix the problem if there is a fault on one of the circuits!

But you are making the right approach in getting someone to look at the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back