range oven height issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have just started to fit my kitchen and I'm having problems with the range oven.

The units and worktop are 915 high and the oven is 900 high. I want it to finish about 5mm higher than the worktop, but the legs are not long enough.

The back is raised to the correct height, but I cannot raise the front level.

What is the best way to overcome this?

The other problem is that there is a small grill at the front, but it doesn't cover everything once the legs are raised. It looks really poor.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could but on raised tiled platform or if the range is between to base units.
Batten out the two base units so range can rest upon them to give you the height required.
Or simply pack out front two legs.

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry.

I cannot raise the front as you will see what I have used to raise it. There is no grill to cover it.

I have used the legs to increase the height and you can see the legs and also a gap under the oven.

Cheers.

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry.

I cannot raise the front as you will see what I have used to raise it. There is no grill to cover it.

I have used the legs to increase the height and you can see the legs and also a gap under the oven.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Is it too late to simply drop the level of the units?

Hi kbdiy.

I've only fitted one corner base unit, but it's at the correct height for the plinth. There's also an end panel fitted, which is a couple of mm off the floor.

I don't think there's an issue with the units, maybe the worktop is slightly to thick. I just can't see why the legs couldn't be longer and why they couldn't have some type of adjustable grill to cover the legs and gap at the bottom.

I'f I drop the units I'll have to rip down all the plinths as well.

Cheers.

It seems you only solution is to cut the plinth size down or put the range on a platform that can be tiled.

Does not sound like great planning or knowledge of worktop heights has been attained prior to install. Schoolboy error!

Hi PrenticeBoyofDerry.

I am not a kitchen fitter, but have fitted 2 in the past on previous houses I've bought (almost identical to this one).

The ranges I previously fitted were double the price of this one and there were no issues. The legs were long enough and the grill vent covered the bottom.

It seems as if it's just the design of this cheaper version.

The height without legs raised is 900mm and I'm looking for 915/920mm. They are some short legs. I would have just about got away with it if I used a 32mm worktop. I agree that I haven't worked everything out beforehand.

I thought there could be some way of overcoming this, but it looks like I'm going to have to improvise.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers.

When I install kitchens I tend to stick to the 890-900mm height to finished worktop. Plinth and side panels can be cut down, appliance sizes are more difficult to alter.

+1 for setting the units lower. The plinth is one of the last things to fit in a kitchen so you should not be trying to work to that height. Set the units lower and trim the plinth when you get to it. The top edge of the plinth can easily be ripped down and doesn't have to be an exact fit.

Thanks both for your help.

That is the complete opposite that someone else has told me.

He said that if they were supposed to be shorter, then plinths and panels would be made to suit. The reason they need to be altered for appliances are due to cheap and poor quality of them.

He said it was stupid to alter the height of a whole kitchen, possibly due to one appliance (although I'm not agreeing with him at this point).

Are all kitchen plinths and end panels the same size?

I've used BandQ's IT range for the last few houses and think it could be due to them. The plinths are 150mm.

Cheers.

Not all plinth are the same depth but generally 140mm-150mm
A base unit would normally have an adjustable height to a maximum of 890mm (+worktop to get finished height).
Worktops come in a variety of depths and fabrics, they can be 12mm but generally between 25mm and 50mm.
Again this is something that cannot be easily altered. The unit height and worktop will dictate the maximum height available.
You adjust this height be the legs, which can be manually adjusted and cut down if needs be.Then the plinth can be worked on and cut to suit.
I think your friend has given you duff advice.
When you have integrated appliances the issue of overall height is not a real factor, as they should be designed to fit the housing supplied. Freestanding appliance need to be factored in at the design and build time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back