Range Tribune Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on a Range Tribune HE.

it is fed from a system boiler, and I didn’t believe the immersion heater was in use.

Since I have been provided better graphs from my smart meter I can see both gas an electric spiking when the cylinder heats up.

I appear to be spending more money on electric than gas to heat the water.

I don’t have any switches, and from a colleague who has a similar setup, he has his immersion turned off, and can turn it on as a backup.

I don’t have this option, should I?

Sponsored Links
There is a plastic cover, with part numbers, but no external cable, or isolation Which led to me believe it wasn’t in use.

there is a very odd electrical correlation with the gas and the heating timers in the house.

An immersion element draws 3kW and will run for 2 hours to heat 120 litres of water from 10C to 60C. 6kWh consumed.

Rough figures, of course, and less if you start from a warmish tank.

You seeing a draw of 3kW on your "spike"?

Sponsored Links
1C3139BA-3A12-4E22-AD8A-AA5A93E1974A.jpeg

The correlation is uncanny. I’m intrigued to the point I want to find out why the electricity follows the gas.

Then start by giving figures in m3/h for gas and kWh (and kW)for leccy.

Or post pictures of your cylinder and boiler.

Cylinder pictures to show any cabling connections.

Thanks, I’ll post the pics. What tools would you use to get spontaneous readings? I don’t think I have enough detail on the smart meter to get the figures for a specific time period.

Well, that immersion certainly is not connected.

I know nothing about "smart" meters; can yours be tweaked to give you readings other than in pounds, shillings and pence?

Thanks, I didn’t think it was.

the meter will give you some overall stats, kWh for the day for example, but not for a specific point in time.

I want to find out why the electricity follows the gas.
Change the times of the gas to something else (such as several hours earlier), and see if the electricity moves with it.

It almost certainly won't - the peaks of electricity use are exactly when they would be expected, as in morning when people get up, and evening when people return from work and switch everything on.

Your boiler and pump both use electricity when running as well as the boiler using gas.
So when it fires up both will go up on your smart meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back