Rat chewed wiring

The sad story of Air France flight 447 being the notable modern example of that.
Indeed - but, worse, it appears to be a recurring factor in far too many of the 'Air Crash Investigation'programmes.
Air gapping is a valid form of insulation in many forms of electrical and electronic work, especially when voltages are high.
Indeed it is but, in the situation we're discussing, when the airgap is no more than a millimetre or two, the conductors flexible (and not under tension), and nearby rodents available to distrurb it, that 'insulation by air' is clearly not safe, yet is totally undetectable by IR measurements.
Much better to have learned your trade first, by hand, and then to use computers etc as a tool.
Indeed - that seems obvious to me, but some seem to disagree. The examples you go on to mention are but examples of thousands one could think of.

The sort of things that worry me most (and I've seen it a good few times) are situations in which, for example, an electrician records (and certfies as 'satisfactory'), Zs levels which, although 'compliant' (in terms of disconnection times) suggest a probable problem which ought to be investigated. In this case, it's not the use of technology which is the problem (it's actually been an aid) but, rather, that the individual has focussed too much on what the regs require of the measurement and not enough about what the high (but 'compliant') reading might actually mean.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed it is but, in the situation we're discussing, when the airgap is no more than a millimetre or two, the conductors flexible (and not under tension), and nearby rodents available to distrurb it, that 'insulation by air' is clearly not safe, yet is totally undetectable by IR measurements.
Quite so, the bit from me needed a little more qualification. Yes, quite out of place in a domestic environment.

The sort of things that worry me most (and I've seen it a good few times) are situations in which, for example, an electrician records (and certfies as 'satisfactory'), Zs levels which, although 'compliant' (in terms of disconnection times) suggest a probable problem which ought to be investigated. In this case, it's not the use of technology which is the problem (it's actually been an aid) but, rather, that the individual has focussed too much on what the regs require of the measurement and not enough about what the high (but 'compliant') reading might actually mean.

Kind Regards, John

You bring to light there something I've also seen 1st hand. When I've looked at a sheet full of figures brought back from a site, where it has passed but you end up asking them 'why is XYZ so high in a building that size?' 'Remember what that other one was last week?' 'Yes.' 'Then how can that be that high and something not be untoward?' Kettle on down we sit. Yes like you say 'it's compliant' but if they don't appreciate what's there then there's something to be learned. Same with breakers. 'If that goes from a 2C to a 1D, what will it do?' And it's stuff that needs to be second nature to them.

I think it's in the person. You can enlighten some to it, and once the flame is lit onward and upward they go, whereas others never seem to get it. They see the pass and no further.
Dare I mention the word 'apprenticeship'? I never served a traditional one but was very fortunate to be thrust on to sites with a chap who knew his stuff but was as mad as your hat. Never a dull moment :LOL: But he taught me that your greatest pieces of test kit are the ones that are permanently attached. Look at it, listen to it, sniff it. Then touch it. I watched him fix so much stuff with simply his hands, much of it pretty technical stuff. A revelation

To me an 'apprenticeship' is not only about learning more of your trade but acquiring an overview of what's going on and a surrounding knowledge. And that process never stops.

We digress!

Aswell as the wiring to be addressed is there an obvious route in for the rats that could be 'plugged' Trev? You're right in saying that could be hard work but things like made up firewalls in the roof space would serve you well in any case. Often in an old terrace the cavities run continuously which doesn't help you. And what's their food source? Any broken pipes/drains about? Not sure what your external environment is like.

Thanks for all the info! Massively helpful.

The exterminator has been in and left some test bait to determine if the run is 'active', he will go from there. We did put in a fire wall when we moved in to one side, however the other side was bricked. I suspect as you say that the cavity is continuous (or at least open enough for a Rat) downstairs is suspended wooden floor so it wouldn't surprise me if they can get all the way along under the houses too.. could be interesting, I suspect it would be very difficult to make the loft rat proof..

Anyone know if those sonic rodent repellers work?

Not looking forward to getting the boards up.. and there are cupboards and bookshelves down in the eves too, but it sounds like the thing to do - I'm guessing some kind of exploratory camera is not exactly standard kit? :)

Found out that the electrician is genuinely on holiday - back on Monday so will see if he returns my calls then - nothing to do really until the Rodent situation is dealt with I guess?

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Rodents can here the vibration of the electricity in the cable, they get very inquisitive and eat away at it.
I would not like to go in the loft if there is a big problem with rats due to H&S concerns or Weils disease.
Would rather miss a job like that if I can help it.

Thanks for all the info! Massively helpful.

Not looking forward to getting the boards up.. and there are cupboards and bookshelves down in the eves too, but it sounds like the thing to do - I'm guessing some kind of exploratory camera is not exactly standard kit? :)

Is that what the rat man has might need to happen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back