Ratio for concrete (foundations)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to be mixing concrete (using a mixer) which will be used for trench fill foundations. Building control have advised GEN1 or GEN2 which means nothing to me. Can anyone advise on a suitable ratio please, and also explain what type of aggregate is best.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1:5 or 1:6

But foundation strength is not just about the ratio, there are several other factors.

Mixing DIY can not guarantee any particular strength, nor even guarantee consistent or identical batch strength - which is what is required for concrete in bays.

Sponsored Links
1:5 or 1:6

Sorry, what does this refer to? Is this cement:aggregate? If so, what sort of aggregate am I looking for?

I also need to mix up concrete for fence posts and a hot tub base, if you can provide any guidance on those. Same ratio? Or not?

thanks

Sorry, what does this refer to? Is this cement:aggregate? If so, what sort of aggregate am I looking for?

1:5 or 1:6 refers to one part cement to 5/6 parts ballast.

Ballast is what you would buy for in bulk bags from builders merchants. Ballast is made up of a ratio of 4 parts 20mm gravel to 2 parts sharp (concrete or grit) sand. You can buy these items separately if you wish but why complicate things.

EDIT: Don't forget to add water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back