Rats entry point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope this is right section I am new. I have rats entering my house, I have searched everywhere for entry point and find nothing, all that is left is to inspect where the waste pipe for the downstairs toilet enters the house but this is underground. How deep will it be and is it easy enough for a fairly competent DIYer, and if this is the problem what is the best way to seal entry point and what should I use to backfill. And do you guys reckon that this might be the favourite point of entry? I don't really want to excavate until everything else exhausted, no gaps at surface level and the gutter downspouts have now been covered.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Is your house detached, a semi, a terrace?
Does it have solid walls or cavity walls?

Sponsored Links
The only pipe that goes through the wall below ground level is the toilet waste pipe all other pipes are visible and there are no external gaps, the kitchen and bathroom waste pipes come through above ground and feed into a hopper, the toilet pipe runs around 4 feet to a 3 meter deep manhole and enters this manhole around 1 foot to 18 inches from the top with a decent overhang.

Are they coming in from next door ?
I suppose that's a possibility too, but back to the original question whats the best way to block the entry point if it is the waste pipe lintel, and what's the best stuff for back fill and how

Last edited:
Had a similar issue in last house ….they where getting in next door and running about in the cavity ….
Same for me :(
Recently called in a rat man - we are in a terrace with solid stone walls; he suggested the rat had come in through a neighbour's (cavity) extension, a couple of doors down.

I have also had to evict mice from under the floorboards of my bathroom - coming through gaps where the joists meet through the party wall with next door.

As suggested above, a drain survey may be a good idea, but if you are absolutely sure you have sealed every hole, the problem may be with next door :(

If you have a downstairs toilet, keep the lid down, I've seen them in the bowl before.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back