Rats! - how do you know when they’ve gone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We heard rats scratching in the walls a while ago and eventually found a hole in my neighbour’s airbrick. The airbrick is now fixed but we’re hearing noises - but not scratching or scurrying. It might just be the central heating or house contractions. Our house is structurally interconnected with four other houses in a row. According to the pest control company the problem is probably with the drains and not the airbrick (they inspected the drains - all ok but there’s no chamber at the back of the house so it wasn’t a complete survey)
History: We heard the scratching, couldn’t find any entry points, latest PC company came out 2 weeks later, we found the hole in our neighbour’s airbrick. We put some wire wool in the broken airbrick and all of a sudden after hearing nothing for weeks we heard lots of scratching (another neighbour a few doors down also heard scratching around same time). The pest control company said any rats trapped inside could just make another exit/access point. I’m wondering how likely it is that this has happened and if we still have rats in the walls (considering we didn’t hear anything for weeks until we put wire wool in the airbrick). I’ve also been getting a weird smell intermittently for a while … family members think it might be damp or mould. How long can rats live in walls and subfloors without an exit point? How likely is it they’ve made another exit point and where should I look for them? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back