Rattan replacement ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see, I think it is beyond repairing so I'm trying to come up with a replacement such as webbing or plastic boarding etc.

I got this from Argos a few years ago. It was cheap yet the design itself especially the reclining option is fantastic. It would seem to cost nearly £1000 to get something the same.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-25 at 8.58.58 AM.jpeg

Unfortunately they used the crappiest rattan possible so in no time the odd thread started to break or snap until the whole contraption is now heading that way. It's just a real shame because you can't find the reclining feature at that price anymore which is why I want to try to salvage it before taking it to the scrap heap and buying a plain one without the feature.

I had already put some uPVC trim at the back where it first started to break up.

I thought about putting stiff boards to support the body by clipping them to the frame and using some flexible material to cover it. This wouldn't really be an issue if it was indoor furniture but it needs to withstand the elements. The cushions that attach to the sofa are stored in the container below which also has its own cushion. Very compact and bijou!

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Some sort of treated canvas, perhaps? Or a synthetic one. They are marketed for marine use/outdoor upholstery so should live up to use on outdoor furniture:
Just make sure you use a rot-proof thread to sew it with!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back