Repairing rattan furniture with uPVC trim - what glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to salvage the damage to this recliner sofa. Not sure if it's an evil fox (it shat on it once then looked at the CCTV camera as if to say 'That's what I think of you') or winter damage that's done it, the rest of it seems okay though.

Patio recliner.jpg

I used to super glue the odd break here and there but I think this has gone way beyond that.

My idea is to get some grey uPVC grained trim such as this and glue it on both recliners so it looks uniform.

I'm not sure what glue to use though. I feel as if it needs a kind gooey one that will get into the nooks and crannies, and be flexible to stop further breakage. That said, if you think just some grab adhesive like 'Hard As Nails' will do the job then please let me know.

Also, if you can think of any alternative solutions to using the trim that's reasonbly cheap then please let me know too. I thought about some covers but they'll need to be custome made so expensive and won't stop any possible further damage.

Thanks very much.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I did try looking for some already but couldn't find the size.

You'd probably find grab adhesive works fine, however given that furniture is prone to small amounts of flex then something more flexible would be wise; TBH, you might find that regular cheapo builders silicone will do the trick well enough, but with the advantage that if it doesn't work out you can pull it off and have another go.

Something else you could try is a product called "CT1" - it's like a hybrid of silicone and grab adhesive, it's waterproof and retains flexibility. Not cheap, I think I paid £10 for a tube but it's somewhere between silicone and grab adhesive.

Sponsored Links
Just looked at the CT1, you're right it's a bit pricey but it's got very good reviews and seems to be a good choice.
Might use it on some door architrave as well if it saves me from having to knock in a few nails.
Thank very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back