Rattle after suspension replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally finished the suspension overhaul on my car. Has taken ages.

I have replaced the dampers, springs, control arms, drop links and ARB bushes. Everything is back together and the car feels great.

However, there is a rattle when I go over bumps at a low speed. It is not a knock but quieter than that.

The control arm kit I bought came with replacement nuts and bolts. The nuts for securing the lower ball joints are just nylon lock nuts. The nuts that came off were shoudlered nuts and looked a lot more substantial. Because of this I stuck a washer under the nut. I am wondering if that nut and washer are just not putting enough tension on the joint and that is rattling.

I followed the factory manual and everything was torqued up correctly (where space allowed).

Is it normal for suspension to make this nosie after replacement while everything settles down or have I made a mistake somewhere?

Sponsored Links
No you shouldn't have a rattle. The nut that you talk about must hold the ball joint tight in a tapered socket.

MAKE SURE IT IS HOLDING IT TIGHT OR IT WILL FAIL.

If you wanted put the old nuts back and throw away the washer, we would always use the original nuts unless damaged.

Double check its probably only the anti roll bar bush out of place.

Just to be on the safe side CHECK IT OUT UNTIL YOU FIND THE RATTLE. :!:

Cheers. I am going to pick up a set of nuts from Audi later, they are pretty cheap and one of them started to round off when I removed it
so will replace the lot.

I will check the ARB, the sound does sound like it is coming from across the front of the car, rather than either corner so that makes sense. I had a bit of trouble getting the new bushes in.

I'm going to have a proper look at the weekend, if not the car is going in to the garage next week for a timing belt so will get them to check.

Just quick, can I removed the ARB and drive the car back and forth to check if the nosie is there? I want to be able to rule out the ARB, if I don't see anything obvious with the bushes..

Will it damage anything to drive without it, even if only a few feet?

Sponsored Links
You'll be fine driving it that way, so long as the disconnected ARB doesn't foul the tyre when its disconnected.
Hey - wishing you luck here.....you've had one hell of a battle. Usually odd knocks come from the drop links (stabilisers) but you say you've done those.
John :)

I've replaced the nuts holding the ball joints in and removed the ARB. The noise remains. I got someone else to bounce the car whilst I listened and it seems to be coming from across the engine bay. I assume it is therefore something to do with the joints on the track rods.

I stupidly didn't remove the wheel bearing housing when I replaced the control arms and supported it with a jack, unfortunatley it did come of the jack a couple of times and I think I have damaged the joints. :rolleyes:

I've reached the end of my teather (so has my wife), and my mechanical knowledge so I have booked it in to a garage to get them to have a look.

Suppose you learn by your mistakes, a least I managed to do the replacement so have saved some money.

Its not some little thing you overlooked?

The dirt boots the track rods go through into the engine bay for example.

Would it be possible it was in it before you started the refit and its only now that you can hear it, with everything else done?

You were just unfortunate to get such a nasty job. Its not the easiest at the best of times, but it just went against you, and believe me we all get them.

I've checked everything over again. I can't see whats wrong. I am 90% sure it is the track rods, but I am going to let the garage have a look.

Thanks to Mursal and Burnerman for the help on this post and others. Glad it is pretty much over!

Its back from the garage. I feel like such a p***t. The top nut on the strut wasn't tight enough.

The top of the piston has an allen key recess to stop the piston turning whilst you tighten the nut. As I dont have one of those sockets with the hole in the side I couldn't do that so I just used the windy gun to do it up. Rookie mistake.

This is the first time I have ever replaced the suspension on any car, I guess it probably wasn't the best one top learn on. :D

Easy mistake to make. I have often done the very same thing.

Yes it was a difficult one to start on, but you'll know better the next time.

Great you got sorted.

Sponsored Links
Back