Ravenheat 80T Whistling & Irratic Start Up's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya all - I have a Ravenheat 80T and had a small problem with it of late...

Boiler refused to startup either on timer or demand, well it did start but in it's own time, ie you'd turn it on and nothing would happen then anytime later it will start up as normal but then would only stay on for any amount of time and cut out again.

So I took a look inside,
Checked the timer with an AVO or multimeter to be up to date :D all ok there.
Took the Air Pressure Switch off and checked/cleaned it and put it back on and now I have a whistling noise coming from it when boiler is on and working...
Does this need replacing and could it be part of the cutting out problem on both DHW & CH...???

Also with this other problem, ie the cutting out, not starting up etc, well when i wiggle the CH sensor connector / sensor around, the boiler fires up as normal, wiggle it again and it shuts down so I'm pretty certain it's that... ???? I've measured the resistance but totally forgot what it was now :rolleyes:
Would this stop the boiler working it it was buggered ??? How much are they and do I have to drain the system to replace (looks like a 13 mm socket to undo it)

Many many thanks in advance....

Colin

Sponsored Links
Yeh I did... Kinda had to buy it quickly as i was in the middle of a kitchen refit when the old boiler blew up so it seemed prudent to change boiler while kitchen was gutted...

Got an excellent price on it as well (maybe that good price is now reflecting in it's reliabilty) A friend of mine is the assistant manager at a B&Q store so I got staff discount, and another 10% off for a badly damaged flu which he kindly replaced afterwards.. Think I paid £300 total, full retail was £399.

I fitted it, my work mate who was still corgi reg at the time came and connected gas and fully checked it..... He's not corgi anymore though as my company only gave him £4 a week extra wages for this, so he didn't bother keeping it up (who would take on that responsibility for £4 a week)

well when i wiggle the CH sensor connector / sensor around, the boiler fires up as normal, wiggle it again and it shuts down so I'm pretty certain it's that... ?
Usually is. Is it a black one or a green one?
Whistling is probably the harbinger of doom for your fan.[It could be a Roger Whittaker Fan!:LOL: :LOL: ] Try some WD 40 or similar on it. Make sure whatever you use doesnt have a butane propellant if theres a pilot light about or you will get a free goatee and eyebrow trim like I did once.

Sponsored Links
"""Took the Air Pressure Switch off and checked/cleaned it and put it back on and now I have a whistling noise coming from it when boiler is on and working... """

You have actually said that its the APS which is whistling.

I expect that you chose to blow into it and damaged it!

They are rated at a maximum of 8 mB and a big blower can blow about 30 mB !!!

You should only blow TOWARDS them and not INTO them!

Tony

Slugbabydotcom wrote :- Usually is. Is it a black one or a green one?
It's the green on with 2 yellow wires, have checked circuit diagram and it points to CH sensor.

Slugbabydotcom wrote :- you will get a free goatee and eyebrow trim like I did once...
lol, it reminds me of smokers who fill their lighters with gas, then proceed to test it directly after... seen that a few time and still chuckle to myself.

Agile wrote :- I expect that you chose to blow into it and damaged it!

Hold my hands fully up to this one Agile, I'm an ex motor mechanic and sometimes use that train of thought today. ie if something might be blocked, a 200psi airline should solve the problem... it usually does :oops: but I guess in this case a lighter approach might have been better than blowing through it...

So I'll be ordering a CH sensor and APS today... I'll let you know how i got on....

Many thanks for help...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back