Ravenheat not firing up

I can appreciate your position financially and never intended to sound arrogant. God forbid. But the hard fact is that you have been let down badly by your installer. I always feel a moral responsibilty to help anyone I have installed a boiler for and often will turn out free of charge to maintain my reputation locally.

Getting back to your op, when is it overheating? on hot water? on heating or both?

What is the pressure gauge reading when the fault occurs? I feel that ravenheat should be helping you more as well. Have you tried explaining your personal situation to them about your 'absent' installer?

Post back with more detailed fault info. I a not a ravenheat expert but with more info others on here my be able to help more ;)

Sponsored Links
amy111 said:
Rob, We have been told that it should be from when it has been installed by other people too, but Ravenheat told us otherwise and when I look on the receipt it does say its only guaranteed for a year! We have decided that we are not going to pay the plumber who installed it until we find out what the problem is. Whether its the boiler or his installation!

thats rubbish CAB will tell you that.

bloody ravenheat great aint they

It only oheated in presence of installer so not sure CH/DHW. However it has not oheated since he took the pump off(because flame wont ignite)! Pressure is steady at 1.5. When switched on either HW or HW&CH, fan is going, pump is going, gas is present, but no spark so no flame.

Hi,

If the boiler has been sitting around for a bit then it may be that in transit/storage the ignition lead has come loose? Or if it has got damp maybe the circuit board is damaged. You need a qualified engineer to have a look by the sound's of it, as it may have not worked due to a fault from the factory even if you fitted it 2 years ago!?

It's very hard to diagnose a problem on a combi to someone over the internet a) because there are various test's that need to be carried out that may not be to your ability (no offense) b) because you may be breaking the law doing things to the boiler if you are not corgi registered.

Only thing i could suggest is maybe have a look for any loose wires/leads with the boiler case off, but if you find anything, then let us know, therwise you may cause more harm than good!

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links
Surely the guarantee is valid from the comissioning date on the benchmark certificate?

You do have all of that paperwork don't you?

I'm kinda wondering how the CORGI guy was able to correctly comission and fill in the benchmark forms if the boiler won't run?

If he hasn't produced all this paperwork then he hasn't finished his job ;)

If it were me I'd find out his CORGI number from work and contact CORGI
They seem quite keen on persuing their own installers for the slightest thing while washing their hands of the 1000s of illegal installs that are happening.

If fan is going then it could be aps switch fault. Has it been serviced since it was installed 2 years ago.

Sequence is call for heat, pump activates, fan starts, aps senses fan running, tells pcb to start ignition and open gas valve, flame rectification electrode detects flame tells pcb it is alight and allows boiler to keep alight.

Can you here or see spark or sparking? If not then could be aps or pcb. You would need someone in unfortunately to solve which is faulty. If you can here sparking or see spark then it points to pcb or gas valve

i bought it 2 years ago (got receipt and guarantee) from B&Q. Then plumber installed it on tuesday just gone. He hasnt filled out commissioning papers for it as it needs a thermostat fitted & it doesnt eben work! My partners a qual sparky and is looking at the electrics but cant find fault. He has replaced the wires 1)igniter 2) some kind on sensor that i think detects gas present?

Have you actually seen installers corgi card?

Has he passed his energy efficiency exam? If not he will not be able to notify boiler installation with corgi as all gas appliance must be now.

As other half is sparky get him to follow fault finding chart in installation instructions and test aps. You have not answered my previous post as to what stage it is failing yet.

As it has only now been installed you could 'phone corgi and ask for inspector to inspect installation as a last resort

Right firstly has he checked for current to gas valve?

If there is current to the gas valve then you can rule out the air pressure switch being faulty.

Sorry Dave just read you msg properly! no sparking which is why he replaced wires, that No2 wire is that rectification electrode-i think. If it is PCB that is not allowing the flame to be ignited, can it have fired up previously? Its just that if the PCB has been damaged by damp, then I would have thought it would not have worked from the start! ?

amy111 said:
Sorry Dave just read you msg properly! no sparking which is why he replaced wires, that No2 wire is that rectification electrode-i think. If it is PCB that is not allowing the flame to be ignited, can it have fired up previously? Its just that if the PCB has been damaged by damp, then I would have thought it would not have worked from the start! ?

Depend's if the damp came from the pump being taken apart i suppose? ;)

It tries to ignite but no spark.

Have not seen corgi card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He also said he is getting his mate to sign it off???

Other half has done all the fault finding and cant find any reason for it not to work.

I hate to say it but if he was getting "his mate" to sign it off then he was not registered

oh dear you really have not got a leg to stand on I am sorry

If his mate is going to sign it off he is not CORGI :rolleyes: I think you should start shouting loudly at him and threaten to report him for illegal gas work installation. You deserve better and you're pregnant :eek: :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
If his mate is going to sign it off he is not CORGI :rolleyes: I think you should start shouting loudly at him and threaten to report him for illegal gas work installation. You deserve better and you're pregnant :eek: :rolleyes:

unless you have proof ie an invoice (and you didnt not pay him cash in hand?) then all he has to say is "wasnt me guv" and you in a your word against his situation

good luck with that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back