Ravenheat not firing up

OK...thanks everyone for so far...

I've just gone out to see the sequence.

Switch mains on..hear pump & fan start...makes a click noise then pauses makes another click noise then pauses
another click noise then pauses and guess what another click noise then stops with flame fail light illuminated....arrrgh

Sponsored Links
Just going back to your O.P.

I don't think the boiler would have fired if the pump wasn't running as your installer suggested, but the before and after symptom's of his 'pump service' sound very similar (ie he did nothing to effect the boiler) unless he played with something else aswell.

So the boiler has overheated and now won't fire.

Have you checked that both the flow and return pipework valves are open fully? (2x22mm pipes)

How about calling ravenheat and saying your installer is on holiday and your boiler has broken down? He is not available to call in the fault. Unless they ask for boiler serial number you could be lucky ;)

sambotc said:
Have you checked that both the flow and return pipework valves are open fully? (2x22mm pipes)

Good one sam, he may have left them shut after fiddling uselessly with pump :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ok forget the above post, it's a gas problem for sure, either the solinoid gas valve is stuck, or the pipe is blocked etc

Has your husband checked for voltage on the gas valve?

Can you see that the spark is sparking in the right place on the burner?

Sam

amy111 said:
OK...thanks everyone for so far...

I've just gone out to see the sequence.

Switch mains on..hear pump & fan start...makes a click noise then pauses makes another click noise then pauses
another click noise then pauses and guess what another click noise then stops with flame fail light illuminated....arrrgh

Honeywell ignition control not opening gas valve at first stage, Control is the red and greyish box plugged into gas valve.

is someone in the house with a multi meter

Thank you all but other half left half his tools at work...so will try again tomorrow...

brrrrr its cold.

Honeywell ignition control not opening gas valve at first stage, Control is the red and greyish box plugged into gas valve.

OP said there was a smell of gas

The newer versions of these [from about 3 years ago IIRC] do not have a piggy back ignition box.

I've skim read through and my hunch is that the ignition electrode gap is incorrect.

Gas seems to be getting through but simply doesn't have the right spark to ignite.

The plate which holds the electrodes can be bent so that the gap between the electrode tip and the burner is about as wide as a pound coin [3mm].

Theres other stuff it could be as mentioned by others. Its just that this was a common fault with new ones of these a couple of years ago.

Not worked on this actual model Slug, though they do have Printed ignition control, and must say in my manual it looks an awful lot like a honeywell control.

Can't see why they would change it, then again we live and learn.

Thanks Slug ;)

A lot of words have been said but no one has clearly explained the situation to the OP.

She has used a "works plumber" to fit a boiler she bought some while ago. Even if he was CORGI registered at work he is NOT registered to do any gas work except for the employer.

That means that he cannot complete the Benchmark Certificate, notify Building Control through CORGI or invoke the warranty.

The boiler is only warranted for 12 months from the date of original purchase. As a concession the 12 months will commence from the installation date if that was by a bone fide installer and within a few months of purchase.

Back to the problem with the pump. If the pump is turning then its not faulty but just seized by dirt because the system was not powerflushed with the appropriate chemicals to ensure its clean. That situation in NOT covered by the warrantee.

As it seems you have not paid the installer then you presumably have £500 or so to play with to get the job done properly. You should tell him that if he is not prepared to assist you will have to get a local CORGI to remedy the installation defects and complete the relevant paperwork and comply with Building Regulation requirements.

You can also report the installer to CORGI for installing a boiler when not registered! ( CORGI 01256 372400 )

We charge a much higher fee to install a boiler but then we do it properly and give a full after care at no additional cost.

Tony

Hi all Thanks for all your help, i thought Id update everyone of my progress.

Got installer to phone ravenheat & they both agreed PCB, but I have read on this forum that ravenheat ALWAYS say PCB!!!! So we asked them to come out and have a look seen as tho we didnt really believe our faithful installer!!!

Ravenheat chg £85 for call out then £25 per half hour +parts as it was out of guarantee, so we decided to get another plumber for a 2nd opinion!.

He too said PCB! So we bought a PCB off the internet and IT WORKS. :D

We still havent paid the installer as he hasnt commisioned it yet :D

Oh and can I just point out that ravenheat customer services are very unhelpful and although I dont have any technical experience of boilers I would of thought a brand new boiler shouldnt have faulty parts and if anyone is thinking of buying one DONT!!!

Leave it to a CORGI reg plumber to install a boiler that he reccommends :D

amy111 said:
Oh and can I just point out that ravenheat customer services are very unhelpful and although I dont have any technical experience of boilers I would of thought a brand new boiler shouldnt have faulty parts and if anyone is thinking of buying one DONT!!!

Leave it to a CORGI reg plumber to install a boiler that he reccommends :D

I wouldnt call something thats been sitting around for 2 years brand new. :rolleyes:

Well maybe not brand new, :oops:

But it had never been used and was packaged how I bought it and it could have been sitting on B&Q shelf just as long! So i still think Ravenheat are c**p

Anyway thanks for everyones help

The firm i work for has fitted hundreds of these, we have had bother with a few (law of averages) but every time ive had to deal with tech dept they have been as good as gold and sort out 99% over the phone or arrange to fix no probs. You say its new but when they're tested theres water left inside and plugged off, leaving this for 2 years cant do it any good (even allowing for evaporation)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back