Ravenheat CS1 85 CH Turns itself on, then overheats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ravenheat CS1 85

I have a problem with the CH starting up on its own then overheating. The problem started with the DHW temperature fluctuating so I replaced the DHW thermistor sensor. This fixed the DHW problem. Last night I isolated the timer clock just leaving the room stat wired up to see if there was a problem with the timer. The CH still starts up on its own, randomly, and then overheats.

Here is a breakdown of the symptoms:-

No DHW in the morning. I need to fire up the CH for a minute then the DHW works.
When I return from work the red light is flashing and the CH rads are slightly warm.

What I've done:-

Reset boiler and switched to DHW only. CH still comes on, on its own.
Changed DHW thermistor to fix hot water. CH still comes on, on its own.
Isolated the timer. CH still comes on, on its own

The boiler has had a new PCB a few years ago and I have had to change the thermistors before.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry for the ignorance, but is the hot water switch the main DHW and CH reset switch located at the font of the boiler? Thanks.

Is the "hot water switch" the microswitch that is part of the three way diverter valve. If so, could it be the valve pin that is sticking? Thanks.

Yes, thats what you should be checking.

Either pin not returning properly

OR

switch itself faulty ( not very likely but possible )

If you decide it may be the switch then disconnect a wire from it and see if it continues.

Can also be a high resistance or faulty CH thermistor making the boiler think its frosty!

I think they should be 25k at room temp but compare the two when the boiler is totally cold.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back