Ravenheat CSI Primary boiler cycling and fan switching off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler is about two years old. I fitted it myself so Ravenheat don't want to talk to me. The boiler lights up but at the same instant that the flame lights the fan switches off. The flame stays on for a few seconds - I assume until the negative pressure is lost. It then goes through the cycle again. However if while the flame is lit I take one of the wires off the gas valve the fan comes back on and the flame stays on until it trips out when it has got up the temperature. Can anyone diagnose the problem from these symptoms?

Sponsored Links
I am glad that Ravenheat will not entertain unregistered installers.

Until the last part of what you describe its sounds like a faulty ignition sequence circuit.

However, as you are obviously prepared to fiddle with any part of your boiler and do gas work then I dont want to be seen to be giving you any advice about gas related faults.

Tony

I failed to mention that we had a corgi registered plumber come in to diagnose the problem. He told us we needed a new main circuit board which he ordered from his supplier. We were told that Ravenheat didn't have it in stock but after four weeks in freezing February we were told that we could replace the green board with a red one but that would also require us to replace the fan circuit board. They said they would sell us the pair for £200. £70 for the plumber making £270 at which point our CORGI man suggests that it would be a better bet replacing the boiler. Fortunately just after making my first post someone who had had similar fun listed a new gas valve and fan circuit board on E-Bay. We got the gas valve for £50 and the fan board for £20. We only needed the fan board,it did the trick, so we have a new gas valve for future adventures. So I may not be a CORGI but "Hey" I'm £200 better off Woof Woof.

Sponsored Links
You did not describe the classic symptom of a failed fan modulation PCB.

Under the fault it works fine on a normal DHW flow rate but fails when modulating down or relighting on CH when the system is already hot.

Its a well known fault and the later fan mod PCBs have been redesigned.

The question arises do you know which one the new one you bought is?

I am still waiting for someone to be kind enough to post me one of the failed PCBs !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back