Ravenheat Primary CSI cycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ravenheat CSI Primary is cycling every 30 seconds or so. The fan comes on, after a few seconds the flame whoomphs into life for 3-10 seconds and then turns off, the fan continues for some further time then stops. The Cycle then repeats.

A friend who works for British gas has had a look checking such things as the pressure switch but he needs some clues before replacing things.

Not sure if this is significant but in the past I thought that the flame started low and then went high after a few seconds. Now it just goes straight into full flame.

Although the house eventually gets warm we want this sorted out ASAP. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
A friend who works for British gas has had a look checking such things as the pressure switch but he needs some clues before replacing things.

Does your friend work in the British Gas accounts department?

If he was a breakdown engineer then he would have a lap top listing common faults on each model. It does not sound as if he has one or does breakdowns.

He will not be CORGI registered when working "on the side" either!

Tony

Yes he is a repair engineer but he is not used to the Ravenheat Primary. He did use his laptop but the Ravenheat flow diagrams and list of common faults were rather useless.

So Agile, do you have any suggestions? or are you just trying to look clever?

Tell him to check the ignition control board fuse as a starting point.

You are correct that the boiler should fire and run at minimum setting fo 2-3 minutes.

Get him to check the voltage at the gas valve modulator stays at low voltage for this amount of time.

If it doesn't it sounds as if the ignition control board may need replacing.

Sponsored Links
So Agile, do you have any suggestions? or are you just trying to look clever?

I find that mildly agressive and rude! So that does not encourage me to be very helpful!

However, since you are not CORGI registered yourself, I am reluctant to give you advice on matters which should only be worked on by qualified people.

Your BG friend has chosen not to ask directly on here for some reason. In any case he has plenty of technical backup within BG if he cares to ask although they probably don't officially encourage their staff to work on the side.

I think that the BG data is compiled as a result of field experience from their own enginers rather than using manufacturer's information which is often rather oblivious to their common faults. I am still surprised that with the help of his laptop he is apparently unable to sort out the problem. Its not as uncommon as an Atmos boiler!

Tony

got same problem on my raven heat boiler, is the cycling if burner a comon fault? ignition board fuse is ok and boiler is only 11 months old

got same problem on my raven heat boiler, is the cycling if burner a comon fault? ignition board fuse is ok and boiler is only 11 months old

Why haven't you called Ravenheat in under warranty then :confused: ?

Not only is it under the Ravenheat warranty but the original CORGI registered installer should have been called to see whats wrong. As Slug has alluded it may be a condensate drain problem and nothing to do with the boiler.

If you call Ravenheat and its not something on the boiler which has failed its likely to be a chargeable call so call the installer first in case its something he has not done properly.

Tony

After that ign wire thing the thermistor would be the next thing I checked followed by fan/flue APS check and then ignition pcb.

Contacted Ravenheat technical Department Told him the symptoms He checked that it was a Mk 2 and then he said it was the fan modulating board.
Duly purchased and fitted- it now works again!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for the help

Smallholder

Ravenheat are quite fussy about honouring the warrantee if the boiler has not been fitted by a proper CORGI.

Perhaps the OP was reticent about calling the makers under the warrantee because it was not professionally installed?

Why pay for a faulty part when the boiler is under warrantee?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back