ravenheat RSF 100ET - pilot light warning on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help please? i'll be eternally grateful!

I've got a ravenheat rsf 100et. Whenever the water pressure drops below 0.75 (ish) the pilot light then refuses to relight.

The current state is that as soon as I try either the hot water or the heating, the pilot light warning light comes on straight away. In the past when this has happened, leaving it for a few minutes and then trying again worked. But alas, this time its not playing nicely! in the last few months, in order to fix this, its had a new circuit board, air pressure switch has been checked, and a new valve. As I said, usually leaving it alone works but I did get someone in to check it as obviously something wasn't right and it was then that a new circuit was installed. This hasn't fixed problem and I'm open to ideas as to what i should try next.

Thanks for spending the time reading my epic and thanks also if you're able to help

Sponsored Links
You have confused me here! Why have you not addressed the problem of the pressure dropping to 0.75 or below instead of throwing money at parts which obviously were not needed?

Most combi/system boilers have a safety cut out so they will not work if the pressure is too low>

sorry, didn't mean to confuse you! I did try and address problem by asking an engineer to visit, he said it was a faulty circuit board, replaced it and went on his merry way. its a month later, the pressure has dropped again, i've topped up the water in the system (the pressure is now just over 1) but the pilot light still won't light

I think you are describing the lock out light, as this boiler I think has electronic igmition.

Can you hear the fan spin? If so can you hear any clicking (sparking)?

Why do you not call the engineer back who fitted the pcb? Why should you pay for an incorrect fix! I certainly wouldn't charge for the pcb if it hadn't fixed it.

I would absorb it as my own stupid fault for mis-diagnosing!

Sponsored Links
it does indeed have electronic ignition.
no, fan isn't spinning and no, there's not sparking.

because he was a horrible creepy man, tried to charge me double his estimate, made me wait 7days, continually rearranged appt at the last minute (so i needless took more time off work than necessary, 4 days instead of 1). I paid him half his bill and asked him to send me a receipt from the part he bought (he reckoned it cost £70 extra because of special delivery etc despite the local shop having it in stock) and I haven't heard from him since. I don't think i need to continue!

I see your point :eek:

Assuming he hasn't cocked it all up you need to start by seeing if there is 240v at the fan terminals.

Only check this if you are confident of working with 240V live connections :eek:

hmm no, i'm not so how do i find someone who is? is there anyone on this forum who can help? I'm in E4 and *really* need a shower but don't let that put you off too much!

as a ps to the above.... can the air pressure switch work intermittently? could a lower water pressure cause it to stop working?

(sorry, didn't mean to cause problems by posting on a different thread)

Well best you don't try then. All I can suggest is to wait for another poster on here who may be able to offer a visit.

Tony, 'Agile' on here covers a lot of London but not certain which particular bits.

You could look him up in his profile to contact him to find out ;)

Edit; from your other post, just check the pressure guage is reading just over 1 bar.

the pressure gauge is reading over 1 now but it wasn't and it was after it had dropped that the pilot light warning light came on and hasn't gone off since

thanks for info about Tony, i'll send him a little message now

If the pressure is ok now try resetting the boiler, if you can't find the reset turn it off at the wall for 20secs then back on again.

Reset control knob by turning anticlockwise and hold for five seconds.

;) well spotted Dave

nice try guys but i'm ahead of you on that one and i've already tried resetting it and powering off

any other handy things I can try?

hello, sorry, me again! on further investigations I've realised that the fan is spinning, does this help with the diagnosis?

If the fan is spinning then it could be the venturis blocked or the aps knackered, again electrical tests need to be done to ascertain if the power is getting through to where it should.

Dave, thank you. I really appreciate all of your comments/advice and the time you've taken in posting
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Tony is going to turn out to be my knight in shining armour!

ps this site is great! i've just been looking through the other sections, its now firmly placed in my favourites and I hope I'll be able to help out others to repay the assistance I've had (I work in IT support so i'm sure there's a few gems I know that others will appreciate)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back