Rawl Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a simple/dumb question but is their a simple way to get a rawl plug out of a wall once you've screwed into it????

I have taken the screw out but can't get the plug out. I've tried with pliers but only managed to rip the outer rim off so now finding it hard to get at it!!!!!!!!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
mario

Sponsored Links
Screw a screw in a few turns (but not to far) and use claw hamer to pull the whole lot out as if it was a nail in some wood.

thanks alot for that marmaliser......end up in my rage I took the aggresive approach and just drilled it into oblivion!

The screww and claw hammer obviously a far superior method.

Cheers
Mario

Sponsored Links
i do prefer to drill them out as a claw hammer doesn't alays work. (and put something behind the hammer as you may mark the wall

Drill it out with a drill bit for metal smaller than the hole size. (not masonary drill bit as it will burn)

and erm why do want to take out the rawplug?

i would slightly disagree, a smaller drill bit may leave some behind,(and it wont be any good if you hit the back of the hole) and if you have a lot of holes to drill the bit wont be much use afterwards, so i use the same drill bit (masonary) to drill out the plug, often it only needs a quick "drill" and the plug coes out.

I have drilled them out so as i can fill the holes in when removing things as some times the rawl plug is "just" on the surface

All good points above but I preferred to use a smaller drill bit so you don't make the hole bigger or damaged.To get the old rawplug bit out after drilling it I use the vacuum cleaner ! The trouble is my wife make me hoovers the whole house when she hear it :eek:

If the hole is a bit deeper that the actual rawplug, I tap them in below the surface with an old screwdriver and hammer and then pollyfill over the top

I always go with the screw and pliers, but use the pliers flat against the wall with the wire cutter of the pliers gripping the screw thread, and put something under the jaws or the pliers as you raise the handles.

Or get a really sharp stanley knife and cut at 45degrees into the plug under the head and repeat all the way round until the head drops off....

Or put one turn of a screw in again and hammer it into the cavity or further into the brick or block....

If the position needs to be used again, say for a replacement plug 'cos the old one's knackered, then drill out. If the hole/plug is redundant, set it into the wall just below the surface, with a flat faced punch which has approximately the same dia as the plug, then fill. The advantange of this method is that you don't damage the plaster at all. Especially good method if you've got a lot to do. A substitute for a pukka punch is an inverted screw - you hit the point.

i have a feeling the guys probably sorted the rawl plugs out since he posed the question 4 years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back