Rawlbolt removal

Sorry, small diamond core bit, drill it out with a small plug of blockwork, neat and quick. (well assuming you have or can beg borrow or steal a small diamond core)

Thanks Eddie - Never thought of that one, it is a great suggestion although the source of a small Diamond core bit might be a problem. It is an expensive outlay for two Rawlbolts, but never the less a great suggestion.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may have difficulty stabilizing a core bit initially, as you will need to remove the centre drill bit from the core assembly. It is likely to wander around at first.

Just get nasty with it and chop it out.

Sorry, small diamond core bit, drill it out with a small plug of blockwork, neat and quick. (well assuming you have or can beg borrow or steal a small diamond core)

Thanks Eddie - Never thought of that one, it is a great suggestion although the source of a small Diamond core bit might be a problem. It is an expensive outlay for two Rawlbolts, but never the less a great suggestion.
Thanks

Yeah expensive solution if you have to buy the bit and noseall is right you'd have to remove the arbour there is a risk of wandering for sure but with a small bit it should be manageable. Failing that aa noseall says.... brute force!

Thanks everyone, the advice and suggestions have been very useful.
I reckon the 'chop it out' is the way to go for the DIYer without the access to expensive diamond core drills.
Thanks again everyone.

Sponsored Links
You can get a 30mm TCT core for less than £4 would most likely do the job.

Why do you want to make a big job out of it?

Rawlbolts are designed to be difficult to pull out but there installation requires an over deep hole to be drilled. That allows you to get an hacksaw to cut the bolt off as close as you can to the wall surface. Once you have done that use an old screwdriver or similar to drive the bolt back and then do the same with the body. It would take a few minutes at most.

You can get a 30mm TCT core for less than £4 would most likely do the job.

Thanks Eddie - that was a surprise. B&Q do one at £4.65 although Screwfix are over double that. At £4.65 it is a throw away tool and as I am only into Internal Block material, it will certainly do the Job. Off to B&Q now as it is 'Old Giffers Day' with 10% off. Brilliant tip.
Thanks

Rawlbolts are designed to be difficult to pull out but there installation requires an over deep hole to be drilled. That allows you to get an hacksaw to cut the bolt off as close as you can to the wall surface. Once you have done that use an old screwdriver or similar to drive the bolt back and then do the same with the body. It would take a few minutes at most.

Another great solution AJ. If I had a brain, I might of thought that one out, but alas, like my Willy, I only have the skin left that I used to keep it in.

There is always that! But if for reasons unknown it has to come out... lost count of the number of obstinate plugs I've buried in walls!

If it has to come out :D then cut the bolt and drive it back, with an old screwdriver remove the retaining ring at the surface. use a pair of long nose pliers to remove each leaf of the plug ;)

I can't see that this has been mentioned in the thread earlier but, the method of removing is far easier if the hole is drilled an inch or so deeper before installation. This allows wedged end of the bolt to be knocked deeper into the void behind which frees up the sleeve a bit more - still hard to remove, but with a hammer/crowbar and a piece of wood for leverage, it is possible.
Easy to say that now, and I don't know if the hole is already deeper than the bolt, but for future installations, it's worth remembering. ;)

Good luck.

So for anyone reading this, when installing a new rawlbolt - if you ever wish to remove it then best to make the hole deeper than the bolt needs.

Sponsored Links
Back