securing chimney gallow brackets, rawlbolts or thunderbolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All 4 chimney breasts within the property are going to be removed 2 bedroom terraced property

party wall agreement is in place neighbour has no objections

gallow brackets 70 X 70 X 6mm Horizontal angle 300 + 80mm overhang Vertical angle 370mm and 5mm mild steel plate has been ordered

I have been given the option of 2 types of fixings to use either a m10 rawlbolt 25mm projecting 80mm long bolt with resin fix. or thunderbolts m10 either 75mm or 100mm without resin fix

Are there any pros or cons of of which fixings i should go for? your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Are you doing this through Building Control?
Most councils don't like gallows brackets for supporting a chimney stack in the roof.

My local building control i have spoken to and they are happy with the proposal, the dimensions are

* Left side rear room loft chimney breast 304.8mm deep by 939mm wide
* Right side front room loft chimney breast 304mm deep by 952mm wide

Sponsored Links
i think the thunderbolts are the safer option as i have read on the web there is potential that rawlbolts could crack the brick...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back