Rayburn 6" burner swap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have an old Rayburn OF7 and have been running the boiler dry for years since installing central heating (inlet and outlet open). It tended to run too hot even with the high fire screw adjusted right out so I was advised to fit a 6 inch burner from an AGA. I have done that but it is a later "deep well" burner. I would imagine this will help to stop carbon blocking the oil feed so quickly. I changed the B&M valve to a 8cc/min one at the same time.
Does anyone know for sure that the depth of oil in the deep well burner should still be 6mm?
Is it the same wick material as the shallow burner? It is not just the well that is deeper, the wick grooves are too. I have it running and set up the flow rates at 3.8cc and 8 cc but once hot had to back them off quite a lot as it was clearly running with too much oil. I had blue flame above the shells on low fire.
Has anyone removed the baffles from above the burner before? I don't know if they are only there to retain heat near the boiler or the oven side too.
Thanks very much for any help you can offer.
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back