RCBOs - OK to shorten the N tail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Quick question. Is it OK to shorten the Neutral tails on RCBOs to keep the wiring neat? There are two reasons why I'm wondering, firstly I seem to remember reading somewhere that they shouldn't be shortened. The other reason is that they have a nice bootlace ferrule crimped on the end of the tail which would be a bit pointless if the lead's going to be cut down to length.

Same regarding the earth lead I suppose, which again is miles longer than needed although not so bulky so less of a problem.

Thanks in advance, Tony S

Sponsored Links
Yes they can be shortened PROVIDED the end is fitted with the correct size of boot lace ferrule and then the correct tool is used to crimp the ferrule.

I do cut mine to length but crimp on a new bootlace ferrule. The neutral is usually a multi-strand tri-rated cable and its the only way to ensure all of the strands get terminated.

PS You'll invalidate the warranty if you chop it though...

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. By the way I just nipped out and had another look in the panel. The first RCBO, installed by the sparky when the supply was connected, has had the N tail shortened and no ferrule fitted. The multicores are just all connected into the terminal. I'll crimp that one along with my additions.

Tony S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back