RCCB or RCD

J

josey

Hi, I am fitting a power shower, which needs protecting by a 30mA RCD, the main switch in our cu is a 80A 30mA RCCB, (which covers the whole board), are these the same or do I need to change it for a RCD.

Sponsored Links
It is the same......but having a 30mA as the main switch is frowned upon, as it is prone to nuisense tripping :(

or to put it another way.

what you have is fine, but if your shower causes any problems and trips the rccb you will lose power to everthing, bit of a pain if its dark and your pc and house lights are on.

pc wont like it, and you will not be able to see

Funny how fashions change. Time was, it was considered a GOOD THING to have everything covered by RCD. Then people started to realise it can be a D*** nuisance if everything goes off all at once. Fancy a trip soaking wet and naked in the dark to sort it?

The main RCD at 80A is probably ok for running all your power needs. Though you might give a thought to the possibility that you could be using more than 80A at any one time. Probably not though. Quite possibly your supply is only rated 80A anyway. Putting the shower on this is not likely to make the nuisance tripping issue really any worse than it is now.

It is normally considered best if lights are controlled completely independantly.

Sponsored Links
RCCB = Residual Current Circuit Breaker
RCD = Residual Current Device

The latter is just the newer term for the former, and an example of a pointless name change which actually becomes less descriptive of the device.

Fancy a trip soaking wet and naked in the dark to sort it?
Been there, and can confirm that's it's definitelyannoying!

Paul_C said:

The latter is just the newer term for the former, and an example of a pointless name change which actually becomes less descriptive of the device.

Fancy a trip soaking wet and naked in the dark to sort it?
which is why someone decided split load, with lights not RCD protected was better

Not many brands of CU used the term RCCB, only Crabtree from memory.

I recently had a shower blow when in it, ad appreciated the RCD!! Lost my missus work on the computer, but the lights stayed on......as did one rouge socket in the kitchen - on inspection, it turned out to be spurred from the cooker :eek:

Exciting are the consequences of a bang in the shower.

There is a good argument for using RCBO individually on circuits if there is any question of loss or damage rather than just inconvenience. Problem is they are still quite pricey. But if you DIY, then maybe you can spend some of the money saved on better than standard equipment.

I had a 30A main RCB until it blew (when the wife was in, guess what, the shower) and the Electricity Board came and put a 100A in. I said I thought 80A was the standard, but he said that they are starting to put 100A fuses in now due to the all the appliances people have (obviously!).

He also said new builds are starting to have a separate circuit for the kitchen and ideally the washing machine and dishwasher are on separate circuits. Phew!

I realise that this is an old thread, however this statement is quite simply wholly and completely untrue, false and incorrect.

Residual Current Device (RCD) is in fact a generic term for all such devices, which include RCCBs; RCBOs; SRCDs; PRCDs; RCDFCUs etc.

1662156352018.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back