RCD adaptor plug and CU RCD

L

live4weekends

I have an intermittent tripping with the RCD in my Consumer Unit. I think, but can't prove, its the dishwasher which is now about 5 years old and we have hard water etc.. I had thought, mistakenly I now think, that I could prove it was the dishwasher by using a plug in RCD adaptor for the dishwasher. Trouble is, now if there is a trip they both (the RCD adaptor the dishwasher is plugged in to and the main RCD in the CU). My house also has a main RCD between the meter and the CU, this rarely trips at all.

I've had a quick look through the forums but I can't see an answer explaining how I can prove 100% its the dishwasher, or the washing machine. Obviously we could stop using it, but sometimes its several week between trips and I would want the wife to ruin her hands by getting the Fairy out :) I could also plug in the dishwasher to a circuit on the non-RCD side of the CU and see if the main RCD trips, but again I wouldn't want to do this for weeks at a time.

I'm guessing that even if I get a spark in with his test equipment it would only show positive if the dishwasher had a continual earth leak, as opposed to an intermittent one caused by water on the wash/dry cycle.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Main RCD is normally a 100mA trip
The one protecting sockets and the plug in ones are 30mA trips

I would look underneath for any signs of water leaking and check the bottom door seal lip is free from gunge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back